What rights do a 17 year old mother have over her child in Ohio?

My sister is 17. Four months away from turning 18. My mother is a psycho. I am serious. She has some sort of mental disorder. Anyway its hard to prove. She has threatened to take my sister's daughter away from her. My sister and her get in arguments that are not healthy or safe for her daughter. I was a teen mom too and my mother once hit me with my child in my arms. She is very scared for her child's safety. Can she give her child to someone until she is 18? Does my mother have any say? The cops told me that I had to do what my mother said even if that meant going home with her. I live in a red neck town where beating your kids is the norm. CPS never does anything.

tinaandavasmom

Asked by tinaandavasmom at 2:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm not sure what you are asking.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 2:22 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Tell her keep her kid. Mom cant do jack shit to her. In the courts eyes she is an emancipated adult . Unless Mom has the $$ for a lawyer and court costs, and even if she does she CANT get to court fast enough to do shit about it before she turns 18 Being an unfit Mother or parent for that matter is VERY difficult to prove to a judge.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:24 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• if its unsafe for the baby/child. Can you take the child until she leaves? Can she move in with you? or another family member?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Your mom cant just TAKE sister's baby away. Sh has to involve the curts, DCS, the police, an have proof that sister is abusive to child, neglectful. etc. U should call the court house and ask them in the state/county sister lives in. but it she can prove mom's behavior then they can put her in for obervation in a mental ward for a few days. Maybe get her on some meds.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 2:28 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I want to take her daughter in that is what I am getting at. The cops in my town claim that my mother has say. I know that has to be wrong.
    tinaandavasmom

Comment by tinaandavasmom (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Is the problem that your sister lives with your mom? Can your sister live with you instead? She's almost 18, there just isn't a lot that your mom can do to her if she moves in with you. Your sister is a mother now, that means she is in control of her child. But if she lives with your mom, then house rules take precedence. That doesn't mean that your mom has any overall say about where the child lives, but she does have say about what goes on in her house.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• i would have your sister call the police dept. and see if you can get short term custody
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• She has rights over her own child and there isnt anything your mom can do. If she leaves and tries to keep her child that is kidnapping or atleast some sort of custodial interference. By law though your sister does have to stay home until she is 18, however being in the south myself and knowing alot of girls in the situation the police I know have told me if they run away once over 16 they bring them home, twice they wont do anything.

Answer by gemgem at 3:56 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I was thinking that even with minor status, as the mother of the child - she has the right over the child. Where as your mother has the right over only your sister.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I had mine at 17 in MN my parents had no say whatsoever. I did however live with them and they could say what time I had to be home even though I was emancipated. BTW my sister lived there after she was 18 in her senior year and they could keep a curfew on her. I was able to move out and they couldn't stop me. I did move out of state 3 months before I turned 18 with my DD. It was after High School Graduation. Hope everything works out! (((HUGS)))
    jeamama

Answer by jeamama at 4:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2011