Is it right for a Non-Christian group, to rent a Curch basement for meetings?

I was doing some research a bit ago, and I found an all Pagan Chapter of AA. Their meetings are held in a Christian Church Basement... To me, I just see this as wrong, I mean, there are lots of places for a Pagan group to meet, why do they need to do it in a Church meant for Christian Worship... I mean, on one hand it shows a good level of tolerance and trust between the two groups, but at the same time it's going a little to far in my opinion... What do you all think?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:28 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I see no problem with it,its not like its being held in the chapel. Alot of different groups use facilities like this when other places are not suitable. We have several funeral homes that rent out their banquet room for non-funeral related activities.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I think it is VERY loving and generous of the Church... I see NOTHING wrong at all with it.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 2:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I think that if the group and the Church are happy with the arrangement, it's nobody else's business...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• i dont see an issue, so long as neither group interfere with the other.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I think it is that church's business as to who they rent their facilities to.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• If they are paying to rent the space who cares if it's a church group or not? Pagan or otherwise, they pay the rent to use the space, short of human or animal sacrifices who cares if it's pagan's or Muslims?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I don't think it should matter, I have rented church halls for something completely non religious based. I thought the Christian way was to not turn anyone away...it seems to me that as long as it's there, not being used, that it should be put to good use like an AA meeting no matter what the religions are of the people using it.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I think that an opinion like yours, IF you were a member of that church, would mean you need to attend church MORE often... kind of missing the whole loving side of Christianity there.

Anonymous

• My UU church rents our place out to a Pagan group. Our school, years ago, rented a local church's auditorium for our hs graduation due to bad weather. What does would it matter?
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 2:34 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Welll legally if the church is renting out spaces to the public they cannot deny the pagan group. As for the pagan groups holding their meetings there, that is up to them. Perhaps it was most affordable or most convenient. It really doens't matter and I don't see a problem with it either way.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 18, 2011