Do you find

that your kindergarten aged child is sick more often now that he/she has started school?

Acid

Asked by Acid at 2:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That's one of the hardest parts of Kindergarten! So much illness and so many kids coming to school sick when they need to be home. But just knowing that parents have to work and they often have no other choice, I do understand it but still wish the kids that were sick could stay home!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 2:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My kids went to daycare, so that phase happened when they were babies. But yes, as soon as they are exposed to germs they will get sick until they can build up an immunity.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Mine weren't. they are hardly ever sick. I never guarded my kids from germs and illnesses so they have great immune systems. They get sick maybe 2-3 times during the school year (even when they were in kindergarten) and it's never more than a runny nose and cough. They are in 5th, 3rd and 2nd grades this year and haven't missed a single day of school. My oldest missed like 6 days in kindergarten and I think only 1 or 2 were because she was actually sick. My son missed like 3 in kindergarten and my middle dd missed 2 and those were weather related (she never stayed home sick).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:21 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• The first year a child is in a group setting is the year that they will get sick all the time. They have to build up their immunity system to all the new germs they are exposed to. My son got that over with in day care and had no issues in Kindergarten. He did miss 5 days for strep throat, 4 years in a row.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:37 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My youngest seems sick more at home then my daughter does and she is in school.
    Foreveraway

Answer by Foreveraway at 9:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• That happens a lot with kids that didn't go to daycare.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 12:51 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Mine was in daycare, so no, not so much
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 9:08 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• My kids got a few extra colds, but not to bad. It does get better
    othermom

Answer by othermom at 9:50 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• unless they've been in daycare they will go trough that
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:54 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• My thinking about schools is they are human petrie dishes. You have kids sneezing, coughing, wiping their hands on things, and kids who didn't know they were sick going to school....yep, a regular petrie dish. I don't care if a child goes to a private or public school. It is one big love fest with sharing germs. But I had a chuckle when my son, two weeks after starting school, ended up being treated for a staph infection and then a week later he had Scarlet Fever - his head of school asked where we thought he got it from. That is the chuckle factor. I was nice and said, well ya know we go a lot of places and I'm sure it could have been any where. They were quick to say my little guy was the only one. Which was true. I don't assume my child is going to get sick from germs at school but I am not shocked when something rocks the classroom.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2011