I can't get an epidural

This is horrible. I found out I can't get an epidural because of a spinal fusion surgery I had in '05 ):

jessiskinner200

Asked by jessiskinner200 at 2:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You'll make it through child birth!! I wanted one with DS and wasn't able to. I made it!!!
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:41 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• you can still get pain meds hypodermically

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• wow, im sorry! you can still get intravenous meds that help take the edge off, though. my SIL went into labor so quickly she didn't have time for an epi, and she was just fine!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• How bad was it? I'm nervous, but I'm sure I'll be fine too...
    jessiskinner200

Comment by jessiskinner200 (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Maybe knowing ahead of time is better than expecting one and being completely surprised when it fails? A friend of mine had two failed epidurals during her birth.

I'm sorry though. But you will make it through it.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Yeah I am still getting pain meds to take the edge off a bit. It won't be like being numb, but I'm sure other women have this problem, so it's not like I'm going through the end of the world. I'm just nervous that's all.
    jessiskinner200

Comment by jessiskinner200 (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• You can still get the "cocktail" if your at the hospital before your too dilated. And if you have to have a C-section does that mean they will knock you out? A saddle block is just like an epidural. Billions of Moms have survived child birth and do it again no matter how painfull or bad the birth. You'll do fine.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I agree that it's definitely better to know ahead of time that I won't be able to have one. I'm starting child birth classes soon and I'm going to do a lot of walking.
    jessiskinner200

Comment by jessiskinner200 (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I'm pretty sure that if I have to have a c-section they would have to knock me out for that moment, but I really don't want that. I want to be the first one holding my little man in his first moments of life :) I'm going to do everything I can to NOT have a c-section.
    jessiskinner200

Comment by jessiskinner200 (original poster) at 2:47 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• If you have to have a c-section, it will probably be an emergency c-section and nothing can be done to prevent that.

As for not being able to have an epidural - it is better for birthing that you don't get one because then you can feel when your body naturally wants you to push and can feel to push.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2011