Mirena for Birth Control? Please provide personal experiences :) adult content

I am a teen mom and planned on taking an oral contraceptive but i am on a high blood pressure medication and cannot take one. The two choices I had were The IUD in your arm or mirena. I decided on Mirena because I knew someone who did the arm iud and lost her vision until it was removed!! I believe mirena is also a good choice for me because before i was pregnant I had horribly heavy bleeding during my period please provide me with your opinion and experiences Thanks!

KinsleysMommy15

Asked by KinsleysMommy15 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cramping and we lost it :) had to go into outpatient surgury to get it out. not a huge deal. but personally i didnt care for it i always felt crampy. that and they could have peeled me off the ceiling when they put it in. ugh did that hurt.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 2:48 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My 1st was great. My 2nd was put in incorrectly and everything hurt- walking included!! I wouldnt do it again but would choose it over the arm shot.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Tried it didnt like it but i do love the depo shot :)
    Captianloops

Answer by Captianloops at 11:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My sister had heavy periods and got Mirena, she had very light periods after she got it put in. She had it for 6 months and then got pregnant. She endeed up having a healthy baby who is now 3 months old. One of the side effects if you get pregnant on Mirena is miscarriage and maybe death for the mother.
    My best friend had this and had rare complications and hed to have a hysterectomy. It is very rare but life threatining. I personally wouldnt try it after I saw my sister and friend have bad luck with it. I also know that most insurance companies wont cover the cost which can be a few thousand dollars.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• i just got one put in and im not sure i like it, im having pain only on my right side and cant find the strings so i have to go back in to have it checked
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 2:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• this is the 3rd time i've had to answer about mirena in 2 days. i was on the mirena. it caused me to have period like bleeding 3 weeks out of a month. the doctors had to check to see if it had caused me to become anemic. thankfully it didn't but the bleeding continued until i finally had it removed. it also caused severe pain during sex. this was due to the mirena causing my cervix to swell. even after the mirena was taken out, the swelling never went down all the way because it had a lasting effect. it has also been associated with back pain and more serious problems. I have been on the nuva ring for about 2 years now and have had no problems. it has regulated my period to where i bleed about 4 days. it starts and ends on the same day every month. nuva ring is the better choice, and it has no lasting effects. i highly suggest talking to your doctor about usuing nuva ring instead of the mirena.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 7:08 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I have Mirena and I like it. Haven't had any problems with it. I used to have really heavy periods, too, and after I got Mirena, it kept getting lighter and lighter until now I rarely have a period and when I do it's very light.

My twin sis used the Nuva Ring for a while, but it caused her to loss some of her hair and her hair got really thin and fine and she stopped taking it.

I did the Depo Shot for over a year after I had my DD...it caused me to bleed for weeks, I'd stop for a week or 2 and then bleed for a few weeks, it was horrible!

Keep doing your research, but honestly, abstinence would be for the best.
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 12:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2011