Period?

I have a 6 month old baby. We have EBF. Three days ago, when I woke up, I realized I had "gotten my period" . I was dissapointed it came back already but oh well. Well by the end of the day, there wasnt much more blood, and there was none at all by the next day. So now I dont know if that was actually my period or something else? Are first periods after a baby really short like that ? Or are they supposed to be normal ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your hormones are probably all over the place, trying to get back to a more normal place. Everyone is different. I only had a real light flow for the first 3 weeks after having my daughter and then went to a normal period the next month. Other people bleed longer and heavier. Try not to stress about it. That always makes it even weirder...
    crazybeautifulh

Answer by crazybeautifulh at 12:12 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• everyone's period comes back differently and at 6mo post-partum it is normal even with BF. since you are BF it can take your body a few months to get back to a normal cycle again. you may go longer in between, shorter, shorter periods etc....... can be all over the map
    kisarn02

Answer by kisarn02 at 12:17 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I haven't heard anyone describe the first one as "normal". It can take up to a year (sometimes longer!) for your period to be back to normal and have any sort of regularity.

Now that you're starting to ovulate again, maybe sure you're taking some kind of birth control (or using some other preventative measures) unless you're ready to be pregnant again. Not only won't you know what you're ovulating, but you may not even know you're pregnant for quite some time, since you can't just watch for that missed period.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:20 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• It can be very short, like one day or it can be for a week or more. Everyone's body is different. Next months cycle may be 6 days or more longer. or only 3 days. It takes time for your body to get back into it's routine though.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:20 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Mine first one after my baby was really long but it was also @ 3 months pp and I had just taken out the NuvaRing for the first time. The month after I skipped.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Nov. 25, 2008