Wisdom teeth out while breastfeeding?

Hi All,

I have impacted wisdom teeth (one is infected I think) and they have to come out sooner than I thought. I was going to wait until my daughter turned a year and was weaned but doesn't look like that can happen now thanks to one hurting so bad. Has anyone out there ever had this surgery and still successfully continued to BF? My doctor said I only have to pump and dump the first feeding after my surgery and then go on as usually. Also, my daughter is 7 months old and hasn't really taken a bottle yet so I am nervous how this will go. I am also wondering how will I be able to produce enough milk when I can't eat/drink for 8 hours prior to the surg. and how will I be able to produce enough when you can't eat much in the days following. Any advice would be great especially if you have been through this before!

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 2:58 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• if they give you a local anesthetic you should be fine. They are worried, I think, about the anesthesia to make you out of it for the surgery. Many people have them done under local. if that's the case then you will be fine bfing. It's the same as someone getting a filling done. The local anesthetic is just that...local. and shouldn't affect your milk. You need to get the tooth out though. the bacteria that an infected tooth will produce is much more dangerous for you and baby. Good luck!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I had all four pulled when my son was four weeks old. I nursed him whenever I felt I was safe to hold him. I was soooo worried about it. haha

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/12290031/Im_having_my_wisdom_teeth_pulled_and_need_to_pump_and_dump_for_a_day_or_two_Any_creative_ideas_with_

This was my original post asking for help. All of the advice was really helpful. My mother in law helped me with the boys while I slept the medicine off but I really only missed one or two feedings. If you can, try to schedule your surgery first thing in the morning. That way all you have to do is not eat breakfast before you go. You should be able to continue on without any major decline in your supply. Just pump the feedings you miss if you feel you need to so you don't become engorged. Also don't forget to keep yourself nourished after the surgery. Smoothies and shakes were all I lived off of for a day or two.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I also was put under IV anesthetic and it was fine. The worst part of it was it made me a little sick to my stomach, but it did not bother baby at all. My teeth were really difficult to remove and I was in there for four or five hours. I was able to nurse him that evening. In fact, I was up and around doing chores after waking up from a nap.

Good luck! It is always such a relief to have those suckers out. haha
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 3:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• No need to pump and dump at all. As soon as you can handle baby you can nurse.

The most dangerous thing you'll get in this procedure is the BILL, which is only hazardous to your bank account!

Answer by gdiamante at 3:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I would ask my Pediatrician first. I have had 4 impacted wisdom teeth. After the surgery, I had slight pain, but was eating in 24 hours.
    CubanG.

Answer by CubanG. at 3:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I've had teeth extracted during nursing. You DO NOT need to interrupt nursing, other then the time that you are apart, and asleep. Once you are awake and aware enough to hold baby, you can nurse. All meds that I've ever been given or seen given POST OP for oral surgery are also safe for nursing. If you're unsure, feel free to get specific names, and ask :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:12 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I also had them write down every medication they gave me and looked it up online to see if it was safe and what the risks for. Everything was safe for baby.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 3:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2011