Question about baby eczema

Today I went to the health food store in search of something to help with my 10 month old's terrible eczema. The lady working there gave me two things that she assured me were okay for babies. I just wanted to double check with others before giving it to him though. Any advice and info would be greatly appreciated. The first is a topica cream called Eczederm rescue. The ingredients are poke, blood root,neem,St. John's Wort, chaparral,arnica,white willow, comfrey,calendula, olive oil, avocado oil, macadamia nut oil, kukui nut oil, aloe, potassium sorbate, originox, vitamin c, vitamin E, water, and carbomer. I also got a refrigerated item called Omega Twin. ingredients are organic flaxseed oil, borage seed oil, flaxseed particulate containing SDG lignan. she told me to give him about a tablespoon per day of this. So, what do you guys think?

jacy3031

Asked by jacy3031 at 11:54 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Do you know what is triggering the eczema? It is an autoimmune disorder and while it *can* exist on it's own, it can also be triggered by other autoimmune disorders like allergies. It's possible that your child's skin problems are an allergic reaction to food and/or environmental allergens. It's important to know if this is the case because some of the treatments available may contain ingredients that can make allergic eczema worse. For example, Cetaphil has nut oils in it - putting it on a child with nut allergies can make the eczema worse if not add additional allergic responses.

That aside, always check unknown ingredients with your doctor. Personally we've used Aveeno lotion and Aquaphor with success on my daughter. In severe breaks we've treated first with a little hydrocortisone.
    Anonymous

• there is cream for eczema that is for babies. they sell it at target or babies r us its on the top shelf at target in the baby section and it has a pic of weenie the poo and piglet, i think the brand is gentlecare.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 12:00 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• i have ecxzema have since i was little i used to get it behind my knees and in front on my elbows. my son also has it but hasnt had an outbreak in 4 years. i use free and clear laundry detergant and dryer sheets no fragrence no dye bubble bath and aveno baby lotion with oatmeal for both of us. our ecxzema is triggered by irratents (fragrence dyes) and also brought on by stress and rubbing of clothes my son wears all tagless. ive never done anything with our diets just chaged lotions to ones without fragrence or dyes and that contain oatmeal and i dont wear perfume and i tan for my ecxzema my 12 year old cuz does to. best thing to do for it with younger kids is my son air dries since the rubbing irratates it. and i switched everything over to free and clear.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I have had eczema my whole life. I find that Cetaphil liquid soap and lotion work the best for cleansing and moisturizing. You can buy Cetaphil at any drug store or Walmart. Good luck!
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:13 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Seriously, in doubt...don't depend on a website for stone answers regarding your child's health. Call your pediatrician to make sure.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 1:20 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I am not sure. I would use a topical cream, like Aquaphor, or something like that. Change laundry soaps and make sure you rinse him well in the bath. There are a lot of things you can get in the baby section designed to help with eczema.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:51 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I would refrain from using anything that has to be taken orally. That is a little bit too risky. I'm all for herbal remedies, it's just that with a tiny, developing baby I think it's unsafe. As far as the cream, I do not know enough about those ingredients to give you sound advice. However, you can always call your childs doctors office and fax or email a list the ingredients and they can tell you whether it's safe or not. Good Luck.
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 3:08 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My 2 older daughters got bad eczema to the point of bleeding and scabs because they itched so much. The only thing to do is show the doctor. The doctor will prescribe a special cream for that to soothe the itch and dryness. Also use very mild soap when giving your child a bath, like Dove or Aveeno. Also the doctor said to keep them hydrated. Also, the best lotion to prevent dryness is Eucerine or Aveeno.
    mommaforobama

Answer by mommaforobama at 3:29 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I have excema as well as 2 of my kids (now 5 and 2). I used only Arbonne's ABC baby line on them and its gone. www.passion4more.myarbonne.com has a before and after too! I use arbonne on myself and I get it on my face and arms.. no one has a clue that I have it as it is all gone now. I couldn't be happier as arbonnes products are pure, safe and beneficial. They are botanically based and vegan certified. If you go to that site you can get samples too! I have used arbonne 18 yrs and will never change. I use to itch so much till I would bleed.. Hubby is so happy that doesn't happen anymore
    Watch for mineral oil in products.. this is an occlusive to the skin and is like putting a piece of saran wrap on your skin. Seals out nutritions and doesn't allow your skin to breath. Not good for the skin specially a baby. Might want to try these before going to something your not sure is safe??
    KimArbonne

Answer by KimArbonne at 10:28 AM on Nov. 25, 2008