For those who celebrate Spring or Ostara...

What do you do with your children? Do you have an egg hiding tradition? A story you tell? What Earth/Ostara related things do you do with them?

My son is 3 and I'm trying to really nail down our holiday routines and traditions this year.

Thanks!

boomamma

Asked by boomamma at 2:58 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Holidays

• Ostara is about life and rebirth. Good time for planting. Start an herb garden, plant flowers. We also, with colored eggs, draw symbols on them of things we wish to be fulfilled during the year. If you want prosperity, draw money symbol. If you want more love in your life, draw a heart. If you want to be closer to nature, draw a flower or tree. Whisper your wishes to the egg. Bless it. Eat within 24 hours of blessing.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 3:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• We do egg hunts, a HUGE dinner, and an Ostara basket.... I also let them help decorate eggs a few nights before Ostara.... The only difference that I do, is that I will let them celebrate Ostara on the traditional Easter Sunday.... I also read the story of Persephone and we talk of rebirth...and why it is so important to have the seasons.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 3:12 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Thanks for your reply!
    I plan to do eggs...but I'm hoping to find out what people's routine is.

Growing up, we would wake up and find a basket on the door nob and my sister and I would get all excited for our egg hunt. It's the little things like that I think, which make it special. (though that was for Easter, it's really the same! LOL)

I'd love to know what the rituals are for the day...if people have them.
    boomamma

Comment by boomamma (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I don't have a family tradition thing going on yet because DD is only 2, but I'll probably start doing things with her next year. I'm thinking of doing things like Ostara flash cards or making a puzzle, printing off coloring pages for her, reading her stories (I may even write one, not sure yet), egg dying and hunting, etc.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:39 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• going to church is the main event...then lunch with the family, extended family & friends. then the kids get out and do the easter egg hunt
    Leezah

Answer by Leezah at 10:15 AM on Mar. 19, 2011