Kindergarten ?

So my dd birthday is Sept 8 and the cut off for kindergarten is the 1st. I think she is ready, but they won't let her go b/c of her b-day. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there anything I can do to get her in?

NicMorgan

Asked by NicMorgan at 3:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No there is nothing you can do to get her in. And as a K teacher, I can promise you that the kids that do the best are usually the oldest ones. Not always of course, but what is the rush anyways :) Send her to a private preK for a year to get her prepared :)
    Anonymous

• The cut off date used to be in Nov. Are you sure it's Sept 1???
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 3:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My son is Sept. 9. I held him back. I talked to a lot of teachers. They all said there is an advantage to being the oldest in the class rather than the youngest. She will be more mature and it will help her.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:21 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Yes you can go to the board of education in order to have them test her. My 12 year old is September 8th also so i understand.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 3:21 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• She is very mature for her age. I work with her at home and she is very smart. The preschool is for children who 'struggle'. They have to take a test to get in, which I'm positive she will pass with no problem. To get in on tuition it's $45 for 2 days and $80 for 4 days a wk. for a month. That's a little too expensive for us. And yes the cut off date is Sept. 1st.
    NicMorgan

Comment by NicMorgan (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• yes, it has. In MT the cut off date was sept 10. My sons birthday is sep 8. We had to move to Idaho in nov. Idaho cut off is sep 1, they would not let him go to kindergarten. They sent him back to developmental preschool. When we petitioned the school board they said flat out. "we don't make exceptions". My son had more kindergarten hours then their kindergartners had. He has regressed (developmental delays) since we moved here. I am going to be homeschooling.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:26 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• The cut off is still sept 1st here which is ridiculous since school starts on Aug. 10th. My son's birthday is Aug 30th so he spent the first 2 weeks of Kindergarten as a 4 year old. Better to start late then early imo. You can still work on those skills at home. Or look into private schools who is more likely to allow her to 'test' in.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Sorry didn't see you last update. I guess just keep doing what you are doing. It sounds like you are on the right track!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:39 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• She will flourish being one of the oldest in her class. it is an advantage.
    Anonymous

• It would depend on your school district. In Chicago there is no early entry. They have to be 5 before August 1 (I think it is). At our district here in WA if they turn 5 after the cutoff (which is in September some time) but before the end of the year they can test in or enter with the teacher's discretion.
    My youngest dd probably would have done fine in kindergarten this year but she doesn't turn 5 until April (in 2 weeks actually) so she didn't qualify for early entry. Her preschool teachers thought she was already 4 going on 5 last year and thought she was starting kindergarten this year (the class was for 3-5 year olds and she started at 3 1/2 and was doing the same work as the 5/6 year olds at the end of the year). My son missed the cut off by 1 day when we lived in PA. They also had no early entry. The Sept. 30 cutoff was final.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2011