Although Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs states which needs are priority before others can be met....BUT do you personally fullfill those needs before ones higher on the pyramid?

Ex: Do you put your needs for esteem and social needs first before you consider your safety and physiological? Why do you feel putting these needs before your "base needs"?

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have studied Maslow's chart. Your chart is a bit different than ones I have seen. Like I believe you can know morality without having a high self esteem. However, I believe basics are always needed first like food and shelter before you can really worry about moral dilemmas.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 3:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• A few people, ostensibly, leave sex out of the equation. Also, some people give up their possessions and property as slaves to a sense of morality embodied as a faith, culture or religion. However, they are exceptions to this widely accepted theory of human needs.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 4:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I do believe we need our basic needs met before we can worry about anything else about ourselves. I think some of the other levels might get jumbled up at times because our emotions, and feelings can change depending on what is going on.

The basic idea of the pyramid is correct, we need our basic needs met, we have to have positive loving relationships with people who encourage us to love ourselves, this leads to us loving other people better. Once we are able to sustain loving relationships with others we can work on our spiritual selves, we don't have the same need to hide behind our ego.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I've definitely had that pyramid upside down in the past. I wasn't who I am now and seeing that reminded me how screwed up I used to be. I think it's sad that I went through that and I feel bad for people who do it, too, because they get so caught up in the other stuff that they neglect their needs.
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 4:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• is this a newer version? it seems slightly different from the one we used in school, but that was almost 5 years ago.

anyways, i think the physiological needs have to come first 99% of the time other wise we die or become pretty dang miserable. but ive always felt that the top 3 tiers inter-lap at times, especially different ages. ive known children who have self-actualized for their peer group, but not when compared to myself, and im not near as self-actualized as someone in their 50s or 60s. and there have been times ive put myself in dangerous situations in order to "keep" friends or stopped eating to boost my self-esteem.

ive always thought of the hierarchy as more of a guideline for mental/physical well-being than an actual step-by-step, this is how it must be rule book...i mean we all are too different for it to be perfectly right for everyone.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2011