Is it true?

My one year old son likes to stand really close to my front room tv when its on and he is watching it is it true that its bad on his eyes and it could cause his sight to go bad or is that a myth?

Casteel_chick

Asked by Casteel_chick at 3:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• It's a myth. It is a stage they go through. My kids did it too for a little while. My MIL was always telling me to move him. I never listened to her.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:29 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I don't know if it's true or not, but i tell my kids it will hurt their eyes, even though i really just want them to get their big ol' head out from in front of my tv... lol
    lilliedoll

Answer by lilliedoll at 3:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My daughter does that also, it is a good thing we have a widescreen or we would never see anything, lol. But, I am not sure if it is harmful or not, my Mom said I did the same thing and I see pretty good. Just ask the pediatrician at the next checkup.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Myth
    PurplWildFlower

Answer by PurplWildFlower at 3:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Too much TV or computer is bad for anyone. It's probably just a phase so I wouldn't worry too much but I wouldn't encourage it either

-lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 4:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Myth. It is just something we say to get the kids to get them away from the set.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I think all kids do that and its a stage they go through. My mom always said reading in dim light was bad for my eyes but at age 40 I still have 20/20 vision. If he continues to do it or if he has trouble seeing other things it might be a sign of trouble he is having. I would just take a wait and see attitude. If it continues you might get his vision checked.
    berryhappy1971

Answer by berryhappy1971 at 6:28 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Myth, but I still wouldn't let him be that close.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:33 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• It's certainly not good for his brain. TV before age three is a bad idea

Answer by rkoloms at 7:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My son does/did that. I had to put the tv up higher so he can't do it. I did notice his one eye looking a bit crossed so I have to take him to a opthomologist...hopefully it is nothing.. but I don't like it when kids do that.
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 3:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2011