Why is it that when a woman speaks in a stern voice it can be misconstrued as her being a "bitch"? Yet, when a man speaks in a stern voice he's seen as a strong man who knows what he wants.

I don't know if its my Napoleon complex or if its just the fact that whenever I have to get an important point across I get serious and speak in a strong straight forward stern voice. I have been told before that I can be intimidating and harsh. But I don't think that whenever I speak I am being harsh or mean..just stern. Yet, whenever I see males do the same exact thing people think he's a strong leader! Is it that bad that as a woman I do not speak in a soft motherly voice or something? Do I really have to re-think the way I speak??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• Ahhh,welcome to the world of double standards!
    my favorite is when you turn down a drink or a guy's advances in a bar,you're automatically a lesbian

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:33 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• It kind of like institutionalized racism, but instead its sexism. America's society has been programmed for generations into gender roles- ie) women need to be submissive and passive while men can be arrogant and over confident. Its all crap and even though many women defy the stereotypes, there's still a glass ceiling. Remember Hilary Clinton being called a "bitch" in the news during her run for presidency?? Would a male candidate EVER be called that (or even a similar word)nope!! Its sad but don't even worry, just keep being yourself!!! :D
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 4:26 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Because eventhough this is by FAR the best country for womens' rights; it is still a sexist society. So be you as long as you are not talking down to others - they will be alright :)
    PurplWildFlower

Answer by PurplWildFlower at 3:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I think the man is being an A**Hole (in my opinion!) I can't stand it when my husband yells or talks smart and I tell him so!
    DegaMomto2Girls

Answer by DegaMomto2Girls at 3:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I'd take it as a COMPLIMENT. Even if it wasn't meant that way.

Carry on, sister!

Answer by gdiamante at 4:11 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• LOL, butterfly! Yes, because all women just HAVE to be attracted to ALL men or not be straight! Or, it's just that particular man that thinks he's God's gift. If he only knew....Those are the men with the little penises and drive either a sports car or big truck to make themselves feel better. Pretty funny, actually.

I agree, just take it as a compliment, and if someone has the audacity to say something about it, tell them 'thank you!'.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• No. I'd choose being a bitch any day of the week over being someone's doormat.
    debnich501960

Answer by debnich501960 at 10:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2011