Someone please. Me 5 month old is waking up every 2 hours all night every night.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get him to sleep longer. I am so exhausted I haven't been able to get any sleep for weeks.

Jess120

Asked by Jess120 at 12:31 AM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Did something trigger a change in routine ? Was the baby previously sleeping through the night ?

I would first check to make sure no ear infections, trouble breathing etc..if it's sudden.

When my kids went through a phase I usually had to resort to CIO. I did not have easy kids. Even that was painful and torturing for both of us. As long as nothing was wrong I let them CIO.

I did try some things like a tshirt that smells like me ( remove it once baby is asleep and keep an eye on things too). Also music, background noise etc...

That is all I can think of right now. Sorry hang in there. Just pick one idea and try to be consistent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I read a book called the 90 Minute Sleep Solution by Dr. Polly Moore. It really helped me understand a few things that I never realized. It is all about a babies natural sleep pattern and how to help them ease into healthy sleep. No CIO! I couldn't do it. Message me if you have any questions.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:38 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• my daughter topped sleeping for long perods of time at the same marker (about a month ago). i have really been pushing the routine. for two weeks now, we have done the same activities at night in the same order to prepare her for bed. i turn on a sound machine and a plug in a nightlight as well. the past two nights, she has slept through the night! is it a coincidence? or is the routine starting to trigger sleep in my baby? i don't know, but i'm going to keep with the routine so both of us get some rest.

rule out teething, gassiness, fever, hunger, and wet diaper, of course. but try the routine, babies thrive on predictability. oh, and night time baby lotion can help relax them too.

good luck. and hopefully, happy sleeping. i'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :)
    rachelsmommy78

Answer by rachelsmommy78 at 12:41 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• This won't be very encouraging...but it sounds normal! I never expect a baby to sleep more than a few hours at a time in the first year.

Several things could be going on. If baby is on solids before-bed solids could be causing tummy upset. It might be teething. It might be a growth spurt. It might be a change in environment. It might be plain infant contrariness. Or a combination of all of them.

Elizabeth Pantley's "No Cry Sleep Solution" can help.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:55 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• 1) is this new? or same as always. Because any changes that have occured could be the problem. My aunt told me a story of when I was a baby. I would always wake up in the middle of the night. She would try everything, get tired and lay me with her. I would go right to sleep. She finally figured out I was getting cold! I personnally let my babies sleep with me. As a mother you develop this intuition and great hearing and you just don't sleep as deeply as before. Each of my children were different as my #2 needed to be alone and still to sleep. Are there any strange noises in there? After he/she falls asleep sneak in and lay on the floor. Another thing is if he just sort of wakes up he may be able to comfort himself. Try not to jump right up as that will be the expected reaction every time.
    mselizabeth70

Answer by mselizabeth70 at 3:18 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• This is very complicated and I am sure you will be trying everything. My final note is to consider taking a break. The exhaustion you feel could be causing anxiety and babies are very tuned into us. After I was on my third I realized that if I desperately wanted the baby to sleep because I was tired, I would be irritable also and this would makke it even harder to console them. When I just accepted, and relaxed found a nice rocking chair , prepared to sit up all night... they dozed right off. Hard lesson. So check your own feelings, and get a break from it and catch up on your sleep. Hope this helps.
    mselizabeth70

• I would try giving him more milk or food befor you lay him down again. Give an extra ounce or so.
    Your baby may not be getting full! Also try rubbing nighttime lavader lotion at bed time to calm him down. Try the food first boys tend to eat more as they grow. Might have to give and extra ounce and a half or 2! Good luck to ya
    silva4u

Answer by silva4u at 4:49 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• my son did this too. my doctor said it was probably a growth spurt and to give him more food before bed. it could also be that the baby is teething or growing pains.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Nov. 25, 2008