b/g twins in kindergarten. Boy twin not doing so good should we repeat?

I started my twins at 5 yrs. 4 months in kindergarten (they were in preschool prior to that time). All along I felt they were not ready to start especially my son because he is such a busy little guy, but his twin sister was ready. My husband was pushing them to go because they wanted to go to be like their big brother. The girl twin is doing average (on timed test they do) but over all above average. my son is doing low average to failing, because he refuses to demenstrate what he knows and just say I don't know. The teacher see this too, they are testing him for speech issues (no problem there). Personally I think he just wants to play and not learn. They have told me if I hold the twins back they will drop out of school from a study they have see. My reply was what kind of home did these kids from because my kids WILL NOT drop out over my dead body. My instinct says to repeat will not hurt them. Any advise?????

chickenlittle3

Asked by chickenlittle3 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would allow the school to do all the evaluations they want and see how they feel about him doing some summer school/tutoring over the summer and test him for advancement to the 1st before the start of the school year. It is amazing how much kids change over the summer between k and 1st!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• When in doubt, repeat. My nephew was in the same boat as your son and he went on to 1st grade and is seriously NOT ready and now is going to have to repeat first grade. The earlier they repeat the better it is for them, socially and academically.

Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I know you dont want to hear ti but yes you should hold them back. My son was held back in k and it was nothing us parents have done wrong beleave me i have asked. The teacher said its commin for boys to be like this they rather play then learn and want to wounder around. Boys are also know for having to take speech class as well. So like you say the girl is doing fine, but it wouldnt be good to let one go on and leave the other behind. They wont know a thing and it will work out down the road for them. Like the teacher said its better when they are younger like in K then later and then they have more problems and hate school and drop out. So maybe you should talk to the teachers more. Good luck..
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I had a friend in Kindergarten who was held back to repeat the grade. It was the best thing for her. If he needs to repeat, then repeat.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I would repeat them both. My Son will be starting kindergarten at 6. I would rather him be ahead than behind. I think you should keep both children together in the same grade as well.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:10 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Someone actually said if you hold them back they will drop out of school..WOW. Hold them back.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Thats hard twins I know you want them together. If you have enough money get him in some classes this summer and maybe he will be ready. If not I think you should hold him back and I wouldn't hold the girl back it wouldn't be right to hold her back b/c he isn't ready.
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 10:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Are you saying holding kids back lead to drop outs? I would ask to see that , I have held back 2 of my kids and it made both more successful in school and both said their Sr. year it was like getting a year of childhood free.

My brother was held back in 3rd grade and now own a multi million dollar business in Denver.
    pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 11:33 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I would hold off on making that decision now. If you can, try Kumon or something, as well as working more at home now. Over the summer, I'd try to get them into something as well...tutoring, reading classes, etc. They may change drastically in these next few months and surprise everyone.
    JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 11:58 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Holding a kid back isn't going to make them drop out of school. My son went to school with 5 kids that were held back in either kindergarten or first grade and they all graduated. If you think they need to be held back then do it.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 12:47 AM on Mar. 19, 2011