Positive STREP test without being sick...GAH!

My youngest has a bit of a runny nose, just a small amount of clear snot. The other day he took off his shirt and I noticed a rash on his body, but nothing horrible. He also has eczema, so I thought it could be that. But my kids always get a rash with strep throat, so I brought all three into the doctor to be tested for strep even though they have no symptoms. The older two feel just fine and have been running around like normal.

I got a call from the doctors office today and I missed the call, so I called back. The receptionist asked for my name and when I told her my name, she started laughing...real nice. Anyway I said "One of the kids has strep right?"...she proceeds to cackle and tell me she will get the nurse. The nurse gets on the phone and tells me that all three of the boys have strep. D:

Now how the hell is that possible? I mean they are just not sick, they have been acting perfectly normal. But now that I think back over the past couple of weeks, I will say my middle son has been kind of crabby and needy. But no fevers, no sore throat, nothing, but a little bit of a rash for one day.

Have your kids ever been diagnosed with strep, but been asymptomatic?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 4:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Kids' Health

• YES! Just happened over here. My daughter had pink eye . . . . they decided to do a strep swab on her throat. Positive. Sometimes we can harbour the germs and just spread them.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My second child, a few years ago, vomited out of the blue. Had nothing else wrong. I had an appointmen for one of my other kids already scheduled for that afternoon, so I called and asked if I could take her along. They did a rapid strep and it was positive. Other than that we've never had a positive strep test without other symptoms along with it.
    Anonymous

• i had strep hit my house 3 times this winter, on 2 of my kids. My first daughter had an ear ache and up & down fever. I finally took her to the doc, they did a strep test b/c her throat a little red, but she didn't have a sore throat. It came back negative, but because of the redness they sent it to the lab to double check. Gave me meds for her. She was FINE. Then 2 days later, the doc called and said she DID have strep. Then my other DD came down with all symptoms of it, they did a strep test in office and that was positive. A week later, my first daughter started showing all sign of strep again, although she had been on meds. Needless to say, they just called me in a script.
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 7:56 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• A girl in my daughters class had this happen. Her mom said she had a low but persistant fever so she took her in. Strep came back positive and the child never had a sore throat, runny nose or anything else! There have been several odd sicknesses around here this season.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:33 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Happened to my daughter years ago. It was so freaking inconvenient, now I worry when the kids have a rash or something!
    eliza738

Answer by eliza738 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Your lucky the caught it so early was older son didn't show any signs til it was bad but he is 11
    Ianmommy4

Answer by Ianmommy4 at 11:15 AM on Mar. 21, 2011