My husband hates how I dress....

I am about 30 lbs over weight and currently working on that...but.. it all seems to be in my waist and arms.... so cutesy shirts show my rolls and the other flowing shirts make me look pregnant so I end up wearing clothes he says make me look frumpy or he says more ' they look like rags" we've been together for 14 years and I've been anywhere from 100 lbs ( I am 5'6") to 170 lbs depending on which medication I've been on and off of - I am 165 now and would like to be 135 but I seem to get to and maintain this 165 mark often.. what can wear to make me look less frumpy? do I just accept the rolls while I have them and what shirts would be cute?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I found that for me.. A look that doesn't show unsightly rolls (which most all of us have in one place or another.. lol), is always stylish, can be dressed up or down, etc.. Is a nice Kurti/Kurta and a pair of jeans (or pants).. The cut if a kurta doesn't really expose all of our natural unsightly lines and wrinkles (lol), and always looks nice no matter what size a woman is. There are so many styles, colors..etc.  Example:

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Get some spanks and you'll be able to wear whatever you want :)
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:24 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Wear what you like and what you are comfortable in. My upper arms are flabby (most women's are for some reason ... even my thin friends) but I still wear tank tops and sleeveless shirts.

I totally understand about the "pregnant" look!! I used to love buying shirts in sizes larger than I wear so they would be big and floppy, but I can't stand them now because they give me that "pregnant" look. I don't care if some of the rolls (I have a few) show. I don't wear skin tight, but I do wear snugger shirts than I used to.

The whole trick is to be comfortable with your own body, even if it is a little bigger than you would like it to be. Good luck on loosing the weight ... I can't seem to get rid of pounds, but inches are no problem. Weird!!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:21 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Dress in what's comfortable there are some cute plus size options out there, but i'm not sure since i don't know what size you are.
    emmasmama2007

Answer by emmasmama2007 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• OH YEAH.. I could be a size 8/10 if my body were actually proportioned right.. but being my waist seems to take it on I am about a 12.
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I've learned something after being my heaviest in my lifetime for the last 5 years... it doesn't matter what you wear as long as you feel comfortable in it...if you wear something that he likes, but you don't feel right in it, your insecurities will show. I have flabby arms but I still feel great in tanks...why, because it doesn't matter what others think about me or how i look, it matters what I feel good in and what my hubby likes on me that we both agree with. Take your hubby shopping with you and both of you pick out things together...
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Oh I love those Pixie... I think I could pull those off... where do you get those?
    Thank you ladies.. I know it always seems women feel so insecure but this is a battle I've only in the past 8 years had to deal with.. I never had weight issues.. I guess the meds and now age are making it hard to deal with.. I am trying to realize and learn I will never be a size 2 again but I still don't only want to be in sweats and baggy shirts for me OR my husband.. he thinks I am sexy when I feel sexy, not my size... thanks again
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Yes Pixie, those are nice. Where can you buy them?
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:46 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• spanx, or similar tanks underneath your shirt will help smooth out any bulging..and actually might help you stand straighter, due to the form-fitting-snugness. just make sure it is long enough, to gently 'roll' (no pun intended) past the hip area..not too tightly, or you'll create another bulge. just make sure you buy the right size undergarment/bra..too tight, and you create bulges-too loose, and they do you no good, and don't hold up wash-after-wash.
    target has spanx-like products that are more affordable than spanx, FYI.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• You can buy Kurtis (also called Tunics here in the states) in many places.. Prices vary from less than $20 and up to $100 or more, depending on how dressy/intricate you want. You can buy a plain one, add some jewelry, nice pair of jeans, do your hair/make up (however you normally like to do) and bamm.you're good to go. Look nice, dressy etc.Or you can just put your hair up (if you have long hair) throw on a pair of jeans and tennis shoes and you are just as good to go.Easy and versatile looks can be pulled off. You can buy Kurtis/Tunics at many retailers and online, I buy most of mine at :

http://www.eastessence.com/catalog/KURTI_TUNIC-17-1.html

http://www.riafashions.com/tunics--kurtis.html

Also places like: Macy's, Roamans, Kohls (sometimes),.. most department stores.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2011