Which entitlements do you think should/will take take the biggest hit?

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 4:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• congressional perks should be the first to go.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Agree with Jesse, particularly on the subsidies and medicare fraud as far as what I think should be cut.

What I expect to see cut is pretty much what they are already doing. Medicare, elderly care, and those on Medicaid who are the most vulnerable and truly need it (handicapped, long term illness, etc.).

The main reason this country is in the mess it is falls directly on the shoulders of those who profit from crooks and leeches ... and the percentage of the population that falls into either category. They aren't a minority any longer, and they are loud and mean.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I think that they should really look at all of the subsidies: farm, milk, rent.....there are probably too many to list in this confined space. And then, go after the fraud from the PA records. How many people cheat the gov't with an extra kid or two, claiming several people as 'head of household', getting crooked drs to certify some of the disabilities (which they don't have) so the person can get a check and the dr gets a cut, and just keep going. Root out the fraud and save us billions.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Social security/medicare.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Why social security? Don't you pay into that?

Our choices, were should and will.

I am not saying they SHOULD go. I am saying they WILL. The entitlement system is collapsing. Take a look at the numbers I posted in the question--"Can you do the math?"
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:24 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Social Security
    Medicaid
    Welfare reform (length, qualification criteria, number of dependents, etc.)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:48 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Farm subsidies for agribusiness., tax breaks for the wealthy
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 6:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• All the bogus special interest entitlements that mean nothing to 99.999999% of our population- Those would be the first to go-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

I totally agree about going after any bit of fraud. I don't think it would cost too much, I think what it would save is worth it. If they did as little as give X amount for up to X amount of ppl in the house it would be a start. I was in a group, and this one chic pondered having another kid just to get more cash from the damned state! Even though it would cost her more each month then she'd get, though, I don't think she saw it that way.
    I guess the X amount for X amount per household wouldn't work. What if it was a blended family? (says to self) But, going after fraudulent anyone is a must. I know there are a ton of doctors on the Tricare circuit that do it all the time, ehem, my last neurologist.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 6:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

***
    Yes, we do, but for a good many of us, it WON'T be there for us when we retire, or be a SMALL FRACTION of what we SHOULD have been getting. SO, I would rather cut my losses, and STOP paying into a program that I will not get any benefit from, and instead invest that money, and actually HAVE a nice little nest egg to enjoy in my retirement--in addition to what we're socking away now!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2011