My oven broke, not sure who to call...handyman or electrician?

I am a single mom with no man to help me. My oven stopped working and I am looking on craigslist to see how I can call to come fix it. Im just not sure whether I need an electrician or a handyman lol I know this is a stupid question but I really dont know...The electricians are charging $150 just to look at it. The handymen are way cheaper and do not charge anything to come out. What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Home & Garden

• This first person i would contact would be a repairman from the company your stove was made by.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:21 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Is their a appliance repair store around where you live? That's where I would look for help.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 4:22 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I agree with UpSheRises. An electrician would be in order if it was an outlet or in-wall wiring issue.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:22 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• The 2 year warranty ran out so I am not sure if Frigidaire will help. But I will give them a call. Thank you!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Is it under warranty? I think you should definitely take UpSheRises advice and call them first. Or, I would just let the handyman come look at it since it's free, then you'll have a better idea of who you need to call. He might be able to fix it a lot cheaper than the repairman for the manufacturer or an electrician.
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 4:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• They will still help, you'll just have to pay them. You'd be paying a handyman or electrician anyway though so it doesn't really matter.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Yes they did. They are sending someone out right now. Although there is a service fee of $70,they are going to waive it for me! Thank you UpSheRises!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Even if its not a sears product, they will come out and give you an estimate , for around $75 . I will tell you for most appliances, you're probably better off buying a new one. By the time you pay parts and labor it can run a couple hundred dollars, you might as well just get a new one.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 7:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2011