Potty Mouth Mania!!!

My 2 year old insists on talking just like his father. Every 3 minute a swear word comes out. I know he does not get it from my house. When I tell him not to do something he usually listening the 2nd or 3rd time. I taught him those words were bad words. So now he just says the word over and over and says oh no bad word and smacks his own hand. Then does it again. 3 weeks ago he was in the nursery at church saying the B word. What do I do? (oh and if part of your advice is talk to his dad about the swearing around his house I have talked to him numerous times about it. obviously not making a difference.)

Caleb080906

Asked by Caleb080906 at 1:22 AM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i think its words that they will learn whether you want them or not. i dont know. i'm hispanic. and i grew up saying badwords, and i dont think its a big deal. that might just be me.
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 1:29 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My 3 dd's never swear - it has never been an issue. Here's what I did: completely ignored them when they tried the word on me to see what reaction they would get. When my middle dd came tattling on her little sis telling me she'd said a bad word, I think they were 3,4 and 8. I immediately started jumping around the livingroom, yelling all the swear words in a sing songy voice and we had a swearing party. I kept it going.....and going.....and going. They wanted to quit and play Barbies....I said no, this is a swearing party. I kept it going and going and going and soon, none of them wanted to do it anymore. My oldest at the time said "mom, you are weird." and left.I honestly have not had one problem since. That was 4 yrs ago.....

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 2:19 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• We had a problem with swearing too with our 3 yr old, it started when he was 2. At first I tried telling him no, you can't say that. Didn't work. Finally I would just ignore it. Act like I didn't hear it. And he quit. I think he was just trying to get a reaction. After that, if he came up with a new word, I would tell him one time that he wasn't supposed to use that word, then from there on, I would ignore and it would go away. If you make a big deal out of it, I think it actually makes it worse. That's what I've found with him anyway!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 2:41 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• That's the crappy part about sharing custody. I had to learn that I can't do or say anything about what goes on at my ex's house. This is gonna sound weird to some people but can you get him to say other words, like maybe biscuit for the b-word, or flubber for the f-word? Some mom's are gonna say that nuts, but you can't stop your ex, you can't de-program a 3 year old, and you can't ignore it (you can try, though), because that won't help if it's being drilled into his head everytime he's at dad's. I dunno...just an idea.
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 3:50 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My 2 year old say the same. His favorite word is shit. We tell him no and we put him on our sofa and tell him that its not nice to say that. He is gonna cry and climb down but keep putting him up there until he stays. Let him know that when he stops crying he can get down. It worked for us
    silva4u

Answer by silva4u at 4:56 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My 3 year old son use to say swear words and one time he even muttered aloud a curse on the way down to communion. At that very moment I think my husband and I turned all shades of red; we took him right out of church. Thank heavens we were in the back of the line.
    I started putting him on time outs every time he swore and I'm so thankful he stopped! No more cursing(-=
    sarek

Answer by sarek at 9:25 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• yeah, we all know that you don't want to take them nice places when they say things like that because you don't know if they will have an outburst... I personally wonder about peoples parenting when I see a 2 year old saying words that aren't appropriate for gentlemen or ladies. Tell ur husband to shut his mouth, and don't make a big deal out of them saying it because it's only going to make them know how to egg u
    not-so-des-hw

Answer by not-so-des-hw at 10:36 AM on Nov. 25, 2008