Abusive relationship

My husband and I pastor a church. A few weeks ago a met a young woman who now goes to our assembly, she is from another state with no family. Well anyway recently her baby's father (not husband) has been upset about her coming. We did not think nothing about it in the begininnig. I knew she had a slight mental handicapp but she is very functional. I found out he had been verbally absuing her, telling her that she has no help but him and his parents and if she put him out of her section 8 apt that the baby was coming with him. To make a long story short, I told her if she needed me ever just call me anytime. Last night she calls me around 11 pm saying she coud not take it anymore. My husband and I came and called the police. She and the baby spent the night at my house and made sure the man was going to leave by police order before she returned. The baby's father has called her cursing her out telling her that he had no respect for me because she took the baby out of the house. I know I did the right thing but why do I feel so nervous? I am not sure if I should of waited or acted to soon. What do yo think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• I mean "what do you think?"
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• You did PRECISELY THE RIGHT THING. Call the police and let them know about this latest contact.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• She asked for help and you gave it to her, your timing was perfect. You did the right thing, now just be careful with him, help her find resources for lawyers and battered women in your area, GL to both of you.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 4:39 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• She needs to get a restraining order on him. If she returns to the apt, make SURE the locks are changed. If he needs to get back in to get his things, someone should be there with her, along with the police. Advise her to NOT open the door for him for any reason. If he shows up in the middle of the night, she is to call the police.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 4:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• It's only normal to be nervous. Imagine how much you saved this mother who could of been worse off with him. Verbal abuse only goes so far then there physical abuse. You & your husband did the right thing. God as your witness will find peace for her & her child. You were her only hope. Too many people are scared to leave there abusive significant other. God bless!
    dtMOM09

Answer by dtMOM09 at 4:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• You did right. I would be nervous too. I think its natural to feel that way because he is causing problems.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 4:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• YOU DID THE RIGHT THING!!!!!!! i am so glad you got the baby out of that situation that is sooo scary i think she needs to contact the state and move to different housing
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 4:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• You did the right thing. I would pray for guidance from this point forward because only God can help turn this situation around.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I think you did the right thing- same thing I would have done.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 5:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I agree with all, help her get a order, and PLZ protect her.

If need be your church and family can get a order also.

If her ORDER SAYS,

Church, and anywhere, she maybe living or worshipping.
    To stay away from....

That is what need put in the order...

Civial court...50-b or Domestic protective order.

Mail me with any concerns, I will help you
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 1:26 AM on Mar. 19, 2011