What does this mean & is there any way to help stop it?

My son is making these soft souding hums that makes him seem like he's talking. But he saids he doesn't realize it. He's never doen this before , he's been like this for the last few months. help. please.

incarnita

Asked by incarnita at 5:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Health

• how old?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:14 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• talk to his doctor
    littlekitty2002

Answer by littlekitty2002 at 5:18 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Sometimes, kids around preschool age do that . . . they don't realize it because they aren't very self-aware. When it happens around here, I just say,"I notice you are making a sound. . . probably because you are thinking about something. Let's try to not make that sound." I address it because I don't want it becoming a habit. You can train the sound away like that. It does work after a while.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:18 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Humming can be very relaxing. It actually resonates through the water in the body, attuning you. Try saying the vowels out loud. Notice how the different vowels have a different spot where you feel it. My boss does this as it helps with the pain he has. It relaxes the muscles in his neck which. in turn, helps with the pain. Maybe your son does it because it feels good. No harm. Maybe he'll be a singer when he grows up.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 5:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2011