Where can I get my daughter enrolled in track in Virginia?

My 7 yr old wants to run track and I'm having a hard time finding a program for her.

S.Marsh

Asked by S.Marsh at 5:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Are you sure that 7 isn't too young for track? Have you tried talking to the physical education folks at her school? What does her pediatrician say about a seven-year-old running track?
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:10 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I wonder if the high school track coach would know.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 12:39 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I think they say that 7 is a little young for track. I would check my local YMCA. I would also discuss this with my child's doctor. Running is hard on your bones and they say that for small children, it can be very rough on bones that are growing. I would just check it out first.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:10 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• ymca sounds like a good place to start
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I think you should start with the ymca as well. As far as 7 being to young...The Child Youth Services for Military kids at Fort Drum, NY has a track program starting at the age of 7. The duration of the class is short. So I assume it's just for instructional purposes not really for competition. I was looking for my 8 yr old son but he decided he didn't want to do track.
    ADMURPHY

Answer by ADMURPHY at 8:05 PM on Mar. 19, 2011