Why put onesies on?

Why do people put onesies under the baby's outfit eventhough it's in the middle summer? What are onesies for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I rarely use onesies under clothes. I am with Katie on this one. I just do a onesie and some pants and her jacket. In the summer I just do a onesie, or sometimes a onesie and a skirt. Now that she is a little older and sitting up and moving on her own, we are starting "real kid clothes" as my son put it.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:38 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• what are onesies I have never heard of it ,I am english , we put vests underneath the baby grows like an all in one body suit ,this is because babies can lose heat ,but they do say dress them as you would dress yourself these days .so in summer I wouldnt put a vest on my baby , not if it was really hot .
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 2:07 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• To the English woman, your "vests" sound like our "onesie". It's like a little shirt that goes between their legs and has snaps.

My son is a fall/winter baby and I put a onesie on him if we're leaving the house for an extra layer to protect him from the cold. I was always taught that, in the winter, for every layer that you yourself are wearing, put one more layer on your baby.

If we're at home or sleeping, there's no need for a onesie.
    zeebz

Answer by zeebz at 2:12 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• yes then our vests are your "Onesies" b/c that is how we fasten them. lol......
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 2:21 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Um, I just use them as regular clothes, like a t-shirt. T-shirts ride up too much, especially on someone who can't sit up straight.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:21 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I think some people think that thier kids need to have an "undershirt" on and the snaps keep it from riding up. I used onsies with my kids simply as a light t-shirt in warm weather. My sis uses them to help hold the diaper in place because she's afraid to secure the diaper too tightly, hence using the onsie to keep it from slidding off.
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 3:32 AM on Nov. 25, 2008