Can a ultrasound detect a early pregnancy

babyrodz78

Asked by babyrodz78 at 6:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Ultrasound can detect a gestational sac as early as 4 weeks with a yolk sac to follow about 5 weeks and a fetal pole at about 6weeks. The problem is you can not got on you LMP alone. Woman have different cycle lengths and even a small difference in dates can make a difference on what is seen on an ultrasound. The most accurate way to date a very early pregnancy is to have your Dr draw blood and run a Quantitative HCG. This will meassure the amount of pregnancy hormone in your blood and give him or her a very good idea as to when something should be seen for sure on an ultrasound. It can also be repeated over a few days and the Dr can tell if the pregnancy is progressing normally by how often the number double. Hope this answer is helpful.
    berryhappy1971

Answer by berryhappy1971 at 6:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• What she said ^^^ An ultrasound can detect a sac, but cant always discern a viable pregnancy from a non viable one.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 10:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• A blood test is really the only test that can discern an early pregnancy.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:09 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Berryhappy has it right in regards to what an ultrasound can detect and at what times. Any earlier than 4-5 weeks and you'd need to rely on a blood test, like Tam replied.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 8:56 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I had an ultrasound when I was 4 weeks pregnant with my first and we didn't see anything but a week later we were able to see a sac.

I had a non viable pregnancy also and weren't able to see anything on ultrasound until I was 7 weeks along and I miscarried a week later.
    PrincessPeach06

Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 9:01 AM on Mar. 19, 2011