What do you think of this punishment in schools?

Kids talking during quite time during lunch have to go to the wall and then after lunch they have to pick up the floor of the lunchroom with their hands.

Charis76

Asked by Charis76 at 6:53 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Hmmmm.....no. And yeah, still no. I could not imagine a school who would be for this. How very odd.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• No and no.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• That picking up the lunch room floor with their hands sounds bad.
    WHat is "going to the wall" ?
    I wonder who thought that up?
    It sounds like a school for gladiators.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:08 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• It sounds like a school for gladiators.

LOL those were my words but is somewhat common practice around here. They have to stand at the wall.

Its really the trash thing that has me going but was looking for other's thoughts.

Charis76

Comment by Charis76 (original poster) at 7:12 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I thought our school was bad about being quiet at lunch, next time one of my kids complain or when I am subbing and they get surly about the rule, I will let them know at least they don't have to pick up the floor with their hands!
    pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 7:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• That's really unsanitary. They don't even make the janitors use their bare hands and that's their job. I could totally see making them help clean during recess, but give them a broom and gloves. I've had plenty of "class clowns" clean the playground during recess. It gets the energy out because they're moving, and it gives them the opportunity to learn what community service is. But they're accompanied by a janitor, and given proper tools. I've been in schools where students have to stand on the "quiet wall." It's guarded by the principal and the only effect I've seen come of it is the students fear their principal. So when an issue comes up, like bullying, they're too afraid to talk to the principal about it. I think there are better ways of maintaining control in a lunch room.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:41 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• that's not right. i would not be ok with that.
    lizdixson

Answer by lizdixson at 8:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I would have a huge problem with the sanitation of cleaning the floor with their hands. If they are sent to the wall does that mean they do not eat? If so than I would have a huge problem with that as well. Now if they where sent to the wall and had to wait and eat after everyone left and than cleaned using gloves and a broom I would not have near the issue with it.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:18 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Ive always hated the stay quiet during lunch thing. Kids are quiet during class. At lunch is their time to eat and chat with friends. Even adults talk amongst friends during their lunch break.
    The wall thing is pure humiliation to me, which is wrong. And the cleaning? Thats completely unsanitary and ridiculous. The janitors get paid to clean, let them do it. I would complain imensly, if not start a petition if it were my childs school.
    JDmommyJD

Answer by JDmommyJD at 11:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• In elementary school, we had a red light that keep us within a decent noise level. (lol) I think picking up food with your hands is a bit extreme, especially just for talking. Now if the child threw food and they were given the proper tools (gloves, broom, dust pan, etc.), that would be a different story.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2011