Ugh, whatever happened to parental accountability????

I've been off running errands today so I apologize if this has been discussed several times, I did a short search and didn't see anything. A 4th grader was recently charged with drug possession, after bringing cocaine to their school and sharing it with classmates. The news story reports on the schools response, and gives a brief line about child protective services looking into how the child was able to get the cocaine. Um, they're in 4th grade. Whether the child got it from friends or family is irrelevant, why the hell have the child's parents not been charged with something yet? You have to seriously fail as a parent to not know your 4th grader has possession of large amounts of cocaine. Yet school and parents from the school alike are focusing on the child in question, stating they're sending their children to a different school next year, and acting like the child's a criminal. I'm all for punishment, in 4th grade you have to have some knowledge drugs are bad. Say no to drugs starts in preschool. But seriously, why is no one questioning the parents here? The child's been arrested and charged with a felony, mom and dad would appear to be still sitting at home, quite possibly smoking the last of their cocaine the child didn't get their hands on. It's just appalling! What do you ladies think, who's to blame here? The drug dealer 4th grader, or the clearly failed parents?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/03/18/2011-03-18_fourthgrader_brings_cocaine_to_washington_dc_elementary_school_and_shares_with_c.html

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I agree. I find disturbing that a child can be charged criminally in this matter.
    superwonderfaux

Answer by superwonderfaux at 7:41 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I'm sure the parents have been questioned. And, in some states, the parents are responsible for what their children do until they are 18. If a kid steals a car, wrecks it, the parents pay the damages.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 11:08 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:58 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• this is just horrible i think that if he did get it from his parents then they should also be in trouble.
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 8:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• 4th grade??????
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:48 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I agree that parents need to step up and take more notice in their childresn lives.Sometimes tho, they think they are hanging with good friends who are anything but. Its sad, but- especially in big cities, its not uncommon for children to get ahold of drugs like that. Especially if its in a gang related area/ bad neighborhood. Gang members will use children. (this is all just what if situation examples, could be far from the truth of this story.. just saying). I would have to know more on their personal situation befor pointing fingers and saying mom and dad should be charged. I do however feel charging a child witha felony is ridiculous as well. Tricky situation. Very sad and different world we live in.
    JDmommyJD

Answer by JDmommyJD at 11:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• really annon? second graders skipping school? Damn, i'm only 24, it's not like I've been around long... and when I was in second grade skipping meant you were playing a game of hopscotch. We've got 4th graders dealing drugs, 2nd graders skipping, the kindergartners are going to start robbing people soon! What a sad, sad world
    ba13ygrl1987

Comment by ba13ygrl1987 (original poster) at 11:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I agree. At that age a parent should basically still know everything about their child. I mean they are not even old enough really to be off and on their own. I would think its either the parents stash or someone the kid knows. How this got past the parents I have know idea.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 11:04 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I'm pretty sure the parents are under a great deal of scrutiny. But, do you actually believe that it's not possible for this child have done this behind their parents back?

I heard that the kid found the coke in his dad's truck. I don't know for sure if that's true, but, I think it's possible even if the parents were doing what they were supposed to. I lived in a neighborhood that had 10 y/o's dealing drugs so, I don't think of it as something impossible. Improbable, but, not impossible.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 11:49 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I hate to say it but at ten years old it is not a sure thing the parents are the source of the drugs. Do you know how many times I have been at my kids school to see 2nd graders dropped off at the school by their parents who think they are going in the school, and the kids wait till mom and dad drive off than go walking all over town. If it is a case like that what more can the parents do other than send them to boot camp?

Anonymous