Can you do the math?

We are paying 6 billion a DAY servicing the debt

national deficit for February was $222.5 billion, or $7.9 billion per day.

The proposed democrats cuts will keep the government running even for about 30 hours. Those brutal cuts proposed by the republicans, $61 billion, would have the government running even for about a week.

What will give at these levels, when we crash?

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 7:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I pretty much expect everything to 'give' at that point ~ most services, along with the transportation and possibly the electric grid. I know that some cops, firefighters, EMS, along with some soldiers would keep plugging away without a paycheck. The majority would be looking after their families as best they could (and I wouldn't blame them one bit).

I expect that the thin veneer of civility and civilization will slough off and the same human nature we saw in NOLA after Katrina will erupt in city after city and gradually spill out (at least within walking distance). Those who are actually paying attention are already battening down the hatches (and won't be out squat if it doesn't happen). Those who are P&M about what they aren't getting/might not get will join that ravenous horde, at least for a few short weeks.

I expect the very fabric that holds the country together will 'give' when it crashes.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I can, but i don't wanna ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• And yet, the liberals want more and more money. Where do they think it will come from? Cut everything except: defense, postal service (I know, but it's in the Constitution.), and the courts. We can live without all of the rest until we get this back under control. I didn't say it would be easy, but lord, our other option seems to be collapse. Do you really want that? We can't have it both ways at this point in time.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I would think, mostly everything. When the well is dry, there just is no water. It will be similar to The Great Depression. If we crash and burn it will be madness all around. People are not prepared for this kind of thing anymore. We depend too much on being able to go buy what we want and that privilege will be gone. We will have to go back to the days of gardens, caning, trading, bartering. I am sure some police and emergency workers will continue to work but, really, how many will continue on working when there is no money to pay them. The writing is on the wall. It is just a matter of reading the words.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• We all will and our money, however little or much we have, won't be worth the paper it's written on. Still, some people prefer to pretend that all is well...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:41 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Still, some people prefer to pretend that all is well...

Well.....the Golf Courses are still open so.....just how bad can things be??
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 2:57 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Not surprisingly this thread has remained liberal free!!

I guess it's easier to just IGNORE REALITY!! Ugh.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:15 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I guess it's easier to just IGNORE REALITY!! Ugh.

Liberals tend to ignore reality.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 8:57 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Liberals tend to ignore reality.

and others get an ulcer from worrying about something you have pretty much no control over....

Answer by older at 11:13 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• and others get an ulcer from worrying about something you have pretty much no control over..

We have a vote.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Mar. 19, 2011