If your 5 year old child constantly talked back to you what would you do?

I have tried taking things away, time out, spanking and nothing seems to be working. He screams no, i dont have too, dont tell me what to do. I am fed up! I have tried everything and tried to stay consistent.. it doesnt phase him!! uggg!! help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have a 5yr old and can not even imagine that behavior..lol It must have started before now? I would STRICTLY enforce time out again. Take everything away and try ignoring his behavior. Simply, no toys, no tv...nothing! Good luck.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 7:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Well tonight he went to bed at 7pm with no dinner. Don't get me wrong I offered dinner, but he threw it on the floor while exclaiming it was the most disgusting food he'd ever seen and I was the worst mom ever. I'm not sure it'll work long term, but boy it sunk in tonight that kind of talk will not be tolerated. It must be a 5 year old thing because his mouth in the last 2 weeks has just gotten disgusting, I can't believe half the things he'll say. And he NEVER talked like this before. Hopefully it's some phase. I don't have any other advice really since this hasn't been a long term issue for us, but I can offer sympathy in your struggle. If I find this being a long term thing I think he'll loose all privaleges, tv, computer, toys, everything, and he'll have to start earning stuff back with nice words. I'm pretty sure at least for my son if I took literally everything he owns except his clothes it'd get the point across.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I struggle with this with my now 4 year old. I warn her once of the consequences of her actions before I put them into effect. Strike two earns her time with her nose in the corner. If she continues, she loses television/favorite toy for X amount of time. It's worked for us. Good luck.
    superwonderfaux

Answer by superwonderfaux at 7:36 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• my 5yr old daughter just started this a week ago too, she was our nicest child until then. Her twin brother actually said to me, "Mom, why is Ivy being such a bitch?" I told him that was not a nice thing to call his sister and he said, "I know Mom, but I couldnt think of anything else that really fit!" He is not acting up anymore than usual. Kids!
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 7:50 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• When my kids have tried to mouth off to me, and it got out of hand, they'd get a flick across the cheek with a "don't you mouth of to me that way". Even my mouthy four year old knows not to backtalk Mom when Mom says Go do......!
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• From watching Super Nanny on TV, I would try time out. You put him in time out after first giving him a warning. It seems to work on some of the worst behavior I have ever seen. It just takes persistence
    Good luck!.
    butterfly227

Answer by butterfly227 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Ask him whats bothering him. Sometimes kids act out like that over something they feel like they can't talk about or they don't know how to talk about. My son was being severely bullied at school and his behavior at home was much like this. A child I didnt even recognize. So angry and mean spirited and mouthy. Nothing worked, nothing phased him.... because he was being tortured at school. We finally figured it out and tried to work with the school on it. Unfortunately things came to a tramatic head and we were forced to put my son in a different school. Once we understood what was going on with him and were able to get him to verbalize it the behavior changed almost over night. Good luck Momma.
    1lv2stks3nlz4ev

Answer by 1lv2stks3nlz4ev at 2:15 AM on Mar. 19, 2011