My 3 1/2 year old daughter always wants to help me make dinner. The dinners usually require cutting and dealing with hot items. Suggestions on how to get her to help even though there is nothing she can really do?

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 8:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Mine loves to help to and I let them add the ingredients once I chop them and let them stir stuff that isn't hot. There is usally something you can find and if not then setting the table always keeps them occupied a little while.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Give her some lettuce and tell her to break it up to make a salad, that should occupy her for a little while while you get things done. :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My kids love to "help" with cooking too, and really I just give them a pan with some water and a hand full or so of flour in it, so something small like that, and I let them stir and make a mess until either they are soaking wet or I'm done cooking, keeps them happy and out of my hair...
    lilliedoll

Answer by lilliedoll at 8:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• After you dice the carrots, have her put them into the soup. After you add the salt, let her blow on the spoon and taste it. When you use hotpads to take a dish out of the oven, let her close the oven door with hotpads... Sounds sweet!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 8:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Could you pacify her with setting the table and helping in that way? Make it sound like it is an important part of every meal.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• ...you can give her some crackers so she can put in each plate, just to keep her bussy :)
    cageybaby

Answer by cageybaby at 8:29 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• i always have my two year old pass me tomatoes or plastic items or just holding something to make him feel invovled or maybe set the table
    auntie632

Answer by auntie632 at 8:34 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• These moms have already said what I was going to suggest...so I just wanted to say that I have a 3 1/2 yr old who likes to help, too...and isn't it adorable? :) These are the moments that make memories...
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 12:53 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I actually let my kids help. I let them pull up a chair and help stir what's on the stove or help cut the veggies. I just explain the dangers and remind them constantly and guide their hands for them.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:48 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• She can have a butter knife and cube slices of cheese or zucchini.
    She can stir and mix, spread, wipe the table, set the table.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:03 AM on Mar. 20, 2011