Besides being irresponsible and stupid, is leaving a child in your car also illegal?

I've never done it nor plan to, I'm just curious. I guess it would be some form of child endangerment. But what if the weather is nice and you leave the windows open? Is it different if you are just going to pay for gas or going to the ATM at your bank that doesn't have a drive up ATM?

As the weather warms up, PLEASE be careful to not leave your children/grandchildren/anyone you babysit in the car! I've seen so many stories over the years of children being left inside a hot car. PLEASE be careful!!! Let's have zero incidents of that this year moms.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 8:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• In our town it is frowned upon and if you dial 911 they will come and drag your butt out of the store and most likely arrest you. Never a good idea in this day and age.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think it may be child endangerment in Oregon. My husband's ex left their kid in the car while she SHOPPED at Wal-Mart, then denied it...ugh. I've left my daughter in the car if I've forgotten something in the house, or to check the mail really quick...I've locked her in the house to check the mail or take out the trash. It's my only option right now, because my husband is away in the army.
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Leaving children in the car isn't necessarily irresponsible to me. It depends on their ages, for one thing, and where exactly you are. My boys are almost 7, and 9.5. If they stay in the car while I use a walk up ATM, they're fine. I don't make them get out of the car when I pump gas, either. If they're within my sight, or close to, I'm not worried.

Leaving infants/toddlers in a car is an entirely different matter and IS irresponsible.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• i know in my state it is...if its not illegal in every state, then there is something wrong.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• and yes...it depends on the age....infants and toddlers are different than older kids.
    calliesmommie

• I think it is illegal. It's a bad idea to leave kids unattended and I'm always surprised when I see it happen but to each his own...
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• A few weeks ago, I was walking into a shop with my kids, and passed a car with a sleeping kid in it, age 2ish? It also had a buisiness advertised on the window. I took a picture of the licence plate, the buisiness logo, you could see the kid in it by that time as he wolk up. I had my kids with me, so I went into the store and mentioned it to the clerk. SHe called the police, but the person had left by that time. I called the business up(as, I had the # on the picture.) and left a looonggg nasty message on the answering machine(darn, they were not home) They were from a town about an hour away, or I may have stopped by.... people are just so stupid.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I believe it is. I'd never do it regardless.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Apparently it's quite all right seeing as how I got voted down on another answer about leaving babies alone in a car.
    Anonymous

• In many states, it is illegal to leave children below a certain age alone in a vehicle.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:41 PM on Mar. 18, 2011