ear ache

my little girl who is two has a really bad cold at the moment and what is making it worse is her ears ,she is crying at night and holding one of her ears ,now I have taken her to the doctors and the doctor examined her and said that the ear is red inside but no infection so she hasnt given me antibiotics just ear drops ,I am giving her the pain relief which seems to take forever to kick in .I was wondering if any of you had any old wives tales on what to do with earache to help ease the pain ?

loulou332

Asked by loulou332 at 2:24 AM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Hello, My oldest daughter had MASSIVE ear problems as a baby/toddler. A lot of times the ear is red and swollen from pressure and mucus but not neccesarily infected so the docs don't give meds right away. Problem with that is by the next day her ear could be infected and you may not realize it. There are drops that are sold at any drug store that are herbal and numb the ear canal. Can't think of the name but it works instanly and better than any of the "old home remedies" we tried. A pharmacist could find it for you. Good luck....ear infections are so sad for little ones.
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 3:04 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Yes, what PP said, also some warm (not hot) olive oil. Just a few drops on a cotton ball -- not a Q tip. I had terrible ear infections as a child ooh I still remember.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 3:38 AM on Nov. 25, 2008