Do you let your kids watch TV?

I know this has always been a heated debate with parents, but I'm just looking for opinions. I let my daughter watch TV sometimes, when she's in her playpen or swing. When she gets tired and turns away, I turn it down or off. What about you ladies?

JustCantWait88

Asked by JustCantWait88 at 8:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• of course i do. we all do. even the dog watches tv..or she used to--we gave her away.
    as with any sedentary 'activity', its better in small doses; but in general, its not an evil thing.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• We don't, and will keep it off till she's at least 5. DH and I both work full time, so we feel like we are spending more quality time with her not having it on when we are home.

I don't criticize other parents for letting their kids watch. I grew up on a lot of tv myself. Not having it on works really well for us.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:31 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• In our house if someone is awake, the tv is on. But my son only pays attention to the tv if a sound gets his attention, or if it's 1 of his fav shows (Super Why, Curious George, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, or Elmo's World from Sesame Street). Most of the time he's playing and walking around exploring what kind of messes he can make for me to clean up!
    PhoenixsMommy10

Answer by PhoenixsMommy10 at 9:08 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My older kids watch whatever. They are 10, 9, 8 and 5. The baby occasionally watches. It's not that I "let" him. The TV is on and sometimes he watches it, sometimes he doesn't. He likes football. Whenever football was on he's get quiet and just stare at the TV.
    I don't see the big deal with TV unless all your kids do is sit in front of it from the time they get up until they go to bed every single day and never do anything else. My kids would rather be outside and only watch when there's nothing else to do. The younger 3 spent most of the afternoon outside today, came in took showers/baths and are now watching TV. Well my son is watching 2012 and the girls are watching my oldest play Sims 3 on the xbox.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• i leave it on to keep the noises drowned out...I've done that since she was born b/c the noises set my dogs off. She usually doesn't pay attention unless her favorite shows are on. Then it's usually first thing in the morning while I get ready and in the evening when she's unwinding.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I agree with you both. I just know some people are like "NEVER!", as if TV is too blame for all the bad things in the world...I watch TV, and I'm not evil or stupid! =]
    JustCantWait88

Comment by JustCantWait88 (original poster) at 8:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• yes, but he's to foused in his toys so most of the time he doesnt pay it any attention in less its barney
    kiya_ma

Answer by kiya_ma at 8:36 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• yes, and like kiya_ma said, he doesn't pay much attention until a song comes on or something, then he starts dancing around and then it's back to his toys.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My daughter loves Barney too. My husband was like "don't let her watch that!" But, she loves it! I bought a 6-disc set, and know all of the songs...most of the episodes are old-school Barney, back when I was watching. I love it!
    JustCantWait88

Comment by JustCantWait88 (original poster) at 8:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• yes I do let both of mine watch TV, of course I limit it to one hour a day... by the way my 6 year old is in the gifted program...It's all about moderation, just like everything else.
    heather_84

Answer by heather_84 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2011