15 MONTH old development

My son is 15 MONTHS old now.
He drinks from a sippy cup, eats with his hands, walks and runs..

But he doesn't "clap" his hands or give hugs and only says "Mama" and "dada"

is your child at the same age and doing more...what could your child do at this age?

I'm trying to teach him how to blow a kiss but he just giggles at me when I do it for him. Try repeating new words and saying the alphabet.

Any tips? =] When should he be doing these things?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You're trying to rush him. He's right on track, according to the lists of stuff when my kids were that age.
    Anonymous

• I agree he sounds right on track. Clapping requires crossing the midline, meaning your left hand and right hand cross the center of your body. Although when adults clap we meet our hands in the middle, children do not. First time clappers meet their hands off to the right or left, so if they're not crossing the midline yet (which is by 24 months of age) they're not going to master clapping. Same with words, by 12 months of age they should be starting to babble, and take interest in language. The next milestone is 24 months of age, at which point they should have AT LEAST 10 intelligible words, although most children have significantly more. At 15 months he may only have 2 words, but I can almost guarantee by 24 months he'll have more then you can count, and getting him to stop talking will be your new concern. Don't rush, enjoy them while they're young and quiet, it'll never come back :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:48 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I think he sounds fine. Of course some babies will do more, but some will do less. My son was doing about the same at 15 months, plus some other things. But...he wouldn't clap, even though the doctor's office kept asking if he could. Then, at about 16 months, he started clapping like crazy. Once he hit 16 months, he really started doing a lot more stuff and saying a lot more words. I don't think you have anything to worry about. My son is now 17 months and there are some things that he still doesn't do that younger babies can, but there are also things he does that are way ahead for his age. All babies are different. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• my 14 mos old claps, waves hi and bye, puts hands on head when i say "oh no", he's not walking alone yet and does not want anything to do with table food
    he says mama and dada and nana
    i think every baby is diff talk to your doc if you are concerned
    hope this helps
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 11:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• don't rush it and if you are concerned about anything talk to your doctor
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:38 AM on Mar. 20, 2011