HELP! I really want to cook healthy, but simply don't know how...

Okay, here's the thing. I can cook like no body's business - everyone loves my cooking... Problem is, it's all high fat, high carb, high sugar, junk... No health. The closest I come to health is Green Bean Casserole...

I have 2 little boys (3 & 4 years) and a very very picky husband who doesn't believe veggies are healthy. My daughter is still breastfeeding, but I would love to get things figured out before she's old enough for real food. My kids were all exclusively breastfed and I always made them organic homemade babyfood... BUT, once they were old enough for solid food, they got chicken parm or steak and cheese casserole...

I know this stuff isn't healthy. But I simply don't know how to cook healthy. I've tried to cook healthy, but beyond plain chicken and bland steamed veggies that no one would eat, I don't have a clue. It seems like for it to be healthy it has to be stir fried (YUCK) or baked (and I have no oven) or just plain PLAIN...

I've tried to switch the over to healthier snacks... That wasn't hard. They like cinnamon apples as much as cookies, but when it comes to lunch and dinner, I'm at a loss...

My husband said he won't eat a meal without meat. And the few times I've tried he simply made him and the kids something else and wouldn't eat it.

I also tried to switch us to whole grains and he rejected those too. He goes and buys a "white" version of everything for him... And that's what he uses for the kids too...

He said he doesn't believe that food really matters when it comes to health. He was rather healthy growing up but he grew up eating freezer chicken nuggets, fast food and pizza because his mom wasn't home to cook... So he sees no reason to do different for our kids. As of now they are mostly living on freezer junk food (chick. nuggets, pizza rolls) or my high fat, high carb stuff...

I need to be able to make dinner that people will eat - cause if they aren't eating it it doesn't matter how healthy it is for them. But I need something that's healthy too...

HELP!!! I just don't get it. Not in the least!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I'm curious to hear some of the answers here, too. The best i can come up with is to start grilling :) I love my husband's new grill! lol. I, personally, love baked, stir fried, and steamed food, so that's not the problem for me, but I know that grilling is healthier than frying! LOL
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Start with good fresh ingredients. If it's going to be cooked into the food (ie invisible) use wholegrains and wholemeal flour/rice etc. Also you can buy bread that's like 25% wholemeal, so it's a compromise.

Try substiuting some tasty herbs and seasonings for the cheesy sauces.

We find that the kids eat steamed veges just fine if they are fresh and cooked just right. Simple steaks with pasta and veges. If you cook the meat just right, it only needs a sprinkle of salt to make it delicious, not lots of added flavors. In fact our kids prefer simple meat and veges over pizzas and lasagne and such where stuff is all mixed in together.

Your hubby needs some serious helth and nutrition lessons - his attitude will give you kids with the same bad habits and possibly all of you eventually with heart disease, diabetes, and other preventalbe health issues, instead of being healthy, fit, and feeling good about themselves.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I can't stand the smell or taste of anything off a grill. I have a forman grill and I like to use that, but my DH things it's dirty... Plus, I don't have anywhere to put one.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• So you don't like baked, grilled, stir fried, or steamed food? ....I think that ONLY leaves fried and microwaved.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:36 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Oh, or sushi. lol
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:37 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My husband has a Kidney condition (apparently he was born with it) and that has caused a blood pressure issue.
    I have Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Labrythitis and Bipolar disorder.

Because of all that, I don't believe in using salt at all since there is so much in most food already. But things like white sugar and white flour I need to cut out for health reasons (it aggravates fibro), I'm also allergic to Ham, Pickles, Wine, & soft cheeses... So that cuts those out... And I want to cut out the stuff that will aggravate my hubby's BP too...

It's all so hard!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:41 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Oh, I love steamed veggies, but I don't know what to do to make them taste good...
    And I LOVE baked, but can't afford an oven. I have a toaster oven though and I use it a lot...

LOVE Sushi! But my DH doesn't believe in that either. He won't even let me eat tuna from the can...

But Stir Fry is seriously gross! And grilled food just tastes burned...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• When you a certain meat or veggie you want to make, look allrecipes.com for specific recipes.
    Anonymous

• We make a lot of fish in the oven with just an olive oil spray and some seasoning. Steam veggies. Use less salt & butter.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:41 AM on Apr. 12, 2011