Doggie Decision

My husband and I are getting a dog for our kids (our son is the one who has been bugging us the most). Anyways, we are trying to involve him on everything like, picking out the dog, naming the dog, and all of that. My question is would/ did you let your child have this much involvement in getting a family pet?

heather_84

Asked by heather_84 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Pets

• Yes, and involve your son in the training and feeding of the dog so that they learn about the responsibility of pet ownership...its really worthwhile :) Good luck !
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 10:01 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I would certainly involve him, but with the understanding that it is your and your husband's final decision. A lot of times kids pick dogs that are cute or for reasons not exactly in line with their best interest. Maybe ask him to give you a list of his top choices, and then you'll research and find out which will be best suited for your family. Good luck!
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:25 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Of course you want to involve the child, but ultimately you and your husband will be the ones responsible for the pet. Also, some dogs are just not good around young children so, you definately want to have the say so over that. Do some research on what dogs are best with children and will fit into your lifestyle the best and then from a choice of 2 or 3 let your child pick which one of those he might like. It is very important to pick out the dog that is best suited to your schedules/lifestyle so that you don't end up having to give up the dog if you make the wrong choice, not very fair to the poor animal or to your child once he is attached.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 9:53 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• yes
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:24 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Yes.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:25 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Most definately yes.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 9:26 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I would let him consult. You are the one who should pick the breed because you are the one that can decide what's right for your family. As far as naming don't let him pick something stupid like Fluffy or Champ or Blackie. My daughter wanted to name my puppy cupid, because she was a valentines day gift from my mother. I told her that we would go through the baby name book and find a name. Her registered name is Nicolette but we call her Nikki.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 3:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Yes
    joceangel

Answer by joceangel at 1:02 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• yes. getting a dog needs to a project for the entire family. If you don't all agree on one pet, then someone may end up hating the dog, or something to that effect later on which will lead to complications.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 2:11 PM on Mar. 19, 2011