Can anyone reccomend resources for supporting gay/lesbian children?

My daughter came out recently, and though I support her, I have no idea where to begin. I know that coming out has been hard on her, and that she probably needs compassion and support at the moment, but I have no idea how to broach the subject with her. Does anyone have any advice or know of any good resources?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• you rockPFLAG as mom of one suggested. Also look to see if you have a local Human Dignity Coalition. My daughter is gay and she was actively involved in her high school's Gay-Straight Alliance. Also there are some really great books out there too. PFLAG has a library of books & videos you can check out. If you ever want to talk about it just message me. It's so nice to know you are supportive of your daughter so many parents are not & their children suffer for it.

sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 10:33 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• They have a site called Daily Strength they can reccomend some support groups for her.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Our son came out last year to us. The best we can do is make sure he knows we still love him and he is a good person.
    robin1953

Answer by robin1953 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• contact CMer 'older'..she can help ya out.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:50 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Find your local chapter of PFLAG (Parents, Families, & Friends of Lesbians and Gays) They have great info that I am sure would help you a lot!

momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 10:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Good luck :) If you are, by any chance, in California and you want to find a support group or therapist for her who specializes in GLBTTQ issues, feel free to send me a PM. I can do a shout out in your area and come back with some names for you.

Hugs.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 10:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Thanks to all of you for your help! It is very much appreciated.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Mar. 19, 2011