My child was just invited to a swimming party, in March, outside. Anyone else think this is odd?

My 3 year old was invited to a swimming party next week and it is an outside pool. We live in the south and it has been very warm, 83 today, but the nights are still upper 40's to low 50's. I don't think that's warm enough.

My husband an I discussed this and decided we will drop off a gift and leave. Do you think this will be rude? I don't want a sick child and am not allowing my child to get in a pool in March. We have a pool and don't get in until May.

Would you allow you child to go and swim? Do you think it will be rude if we drop off gifts (twins) and leave? Would you come up with an excuse or be honest if asked why your child wasn't swimming?

cassey.e

Asked by cassey.e at 9:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would probably call the parent. Maybe there's a cake & ice cream portion of the party your child can attend, and skip the pool part? Doing a 'drive by' could send the wrong message, so I would call.
    PeachyPeach30

Answer by PeachyPeach30 at 9:50 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• maybe its a heated pool...I would call and ask.
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I have been to the home a few times before and it is just a regular in-ground pool. Outside and no heat.
    cassey.e

Comment by cassey.e (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• i can't imagine the water is warmed up enough to swim comfortably yet. if its not a close friend, i'd skip it altogether. RSVP, of course.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I live in Southern Central TX. We've been in the 80's for the past week or so. More so this week. All our pools are open, In fact, they don't close at all throughout the year. I've seen people swimming already & have friends with their own pools who have been swimming already this year. From the sounds of your post, this is a 3 year old's party? Honestly...how many 3 yr olds are gonna be getting in an in-ground pool for any real length of time? My kids were all water babies. But, not in a full sized pool till they were older. Unless it was with me of course. I don't think it would be out of place if you took your DD to the party with no plans of "swimming". I'm sure other parents feel the same way & most likely won't be planning on playing in the water either.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• The pool party is during the day? I know you said it was 83, and that's pretty warm...I'm sure the water wouldn't be cold.
    careph

Answer by careph at 10:23 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• If the party is on a nice day, and the pool is heated (pretty common) it wouldnt bother me.. I would stay at the party (3yo! is a bit young for swimming party imo since most cant swim safely)....If the water is too cold you could always decide to leave then, or just tell your child no swimming & maybe just let him dip his feet in the pool or whatever.

(but if they expect this to be a drop-off party.. id skip it all together!)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:36 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Unless it's in Aruba, we would have to pass on this party!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:48 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I live in Florida were it is about the same temperature out. We just took our 17 month old swimming today. What time is the party at?
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 11:11 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Depends what time the party is. There is no reason she can't go to the party and not swim. If my son doesn't go to a party, we do NOT drop off a gift.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:21 PM on Mar. 18, 2011