Does a child from another country automatically become a citizen if adopted by an American?

Even if it took place back in 1997? Were there any new laws passed since then?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 AM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Adoption

• If adopted overseas by an American citizen, the second that child hits American soil, he/she is an American citizen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• IF the child arrives in this country on an IR3 visa then yes, they become a citizen the moment they pass through immigration. However, that is a new law that has just passed( 2007). That visa is used for children where both parents travel. On an IR4 visa they do not become a citizen. If I remember correctly they receive a green card until they are readopted. With an adoption that took place back in 97' I believe that you have to still re-adopt and have the COC as well. Our dd got her COC just 2 weeks after coming home since we both travelled and she came home on an IR3. HTH.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:11 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• The Child Citizenship Act was passed in 2000. It says that any child adopted by an American citizen is automatically a citizen of the US. mcginnisc, is correct that if both parents do not travel, you will have to readopt here in the US in order for that to become affective. Also, even though the law states that they are automatically citizens, it is still very important to apply for that certificate of citizenship if you do have to readopt here in the US. Otherwise, social security will give your child a number that is flagged as permanent resident and not citizen.
    joy2bamom

Answer by joy2bamom at 9:41 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Best way to check up on citizenship status is to apply for a passport for them. That will confirm that their citizenship paperwork got properly filed.
    mommy22miracles

Answer by mommy22miracles at 10:34 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• The aparents of my daughter also adopted two teens from Romainia and the girls have to apply for citizenship. This would have been around 1996-1997. Might depend on the child's age though.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My brother was adopted from oversees in 1995. He had to get a visa after he was adopted by my parents and there was some paperwork they had to do..after he was here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Many years ago, I was adopted by Americans. They had me Naturalized at the age of 4 but I supposedly had duel citizenship until I was 21. No one ever asked me!
    Cbous

Answer by Cbous at 10:08 PM on Dec. 8, 2008