ADVICE ON DICIPLINING MY 1 YR OLD

My son turned 1 Feb 20th and I feel he has already hit the terrible twos! If I tell him not to do something he immediately gets mad and starts to scream, throws things or tries to hit me. I want to be able to talk to him without him screaming and always telling him NO...Please HELP with any advice:0

mirandamommy

Asked by mirandamommy at 9:46 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Redirection works well with this age. Just get him interested in something else. He's not getting into something just because you told him no - odds are good he's getting into it because its become something of interest.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• really all you can do at one is teach them. They dont understand dicipline at that age. dont buy into his fits. if he throws a fit, do not give in, and do not give him attention for it. if he gets what he wants, he will learn all he has to do is throw a fit/cry and he gets his way. do not give him attention because even negative attention, is attention. and he will learn that if he throws a fit he gets attention (again, even if someone is yelling at them, etc any type of negative attention is still attention) just ignore his fits, and continue to teach him and eventually he will outgrow this stage
    Good luck!!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 9:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• you cant discipline a 1 yr old.
    when he hits you and screams, give him kisses & tell him you love him.
    & i also agree with distraction. if he grabs a pen, and you dont want him playing with the pen, as soon as you take the pen out of his hand, switch it with something else he can play with.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:11 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• My son is 17 months and we are still dealing with this too. While its sometimes hard to not lose my temper, I've learned that ignoring the temper tantrum works wonders. Distracting him works well too.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 10:25 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• i am going through the same thing with my 14 mos old ds
    i think it just is a phase
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 11:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Be calm and firm.  Redirect him with other things. And make sure you spend quality time with him and praise him when he does things right.

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• This may not be for everyone, but when my son was that age I lightly popped his hand and told him no so he would understand that this was unacceptable behavior. The little pop didn't hurt, it was just enough to get his attention. Nevertheless, I had a good baby and we didn't go through "terrible twos". He had temper tantrums and tried to test the waters, but he knew then and knows now the expectations in this house. He respects us and is overall a pretty good kid. He's 11 now and appreciates the discipline we provided early in life. Good luck.
    Crimsonpope31

Answer by Crimsonpope31 at 11:37 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• take away a favorite toy or something like that and tell him he can have it back when he behaves
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:37 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• My son is starting to hit me when he doesnt get his way, how do I respond whithout getting angry??? He knows it upsets me and continues to push my buttons....HELP
    mirandamommy

Comment by mirandamommy (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Showing him he can not upset you is what will help him the most. Concentrate on what will help him and you can become less frazzled. It's hard, especially at first, but it will be worth it. Anticipate his wanting to hit and hold his arm while saying no........firmly and calmly. Also spend quality time with him and praise him when he does things right. Lots of positive attention will gradually lessen his need for negative attention. You could also put him in a play pen, or something similar, if he has a fit for a short time while he calms down.. Give him hugs when he does. He is a little young for time out unless you think he will sit still in a chair or certain area. Plus redirect him to positive things. You might also look at some books on raising a strong willed child. You could browse through them in a good book store. I wish you all the best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:40 PM on Mar. 20, 2011