Are nursing moms suppose to drink alcohol?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No. What you consume can be passed on through your milk
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 9:50 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• An occasional drink is okay.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:51 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Suppose to drink?   No, not that I know of but here is some information you can read about.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Like they are supposed to drink milk? no
    But a drink here and there is fine. My lactation consultant suggests a beer every day to aid milk production.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Not in excess. But a drink every now and then is fine. Safe to drive = safe to nurse.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• a drink here and there after a feeding but at least 2 hours before the next feeding is okay per my consultant.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Hard liquor is not advised, unless you won't be nursing for a while, but having a glass of wine or a beer can actually be helpful while you're nursing because it relaxes you some and can aid with let down (which can also help prevent clogged milk ducts). You can also buy test strips for breast milk to test the alcohol levels in your milk. I think I've seen them at Target and Babies R Us.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• in my opinion no
    but some do and that's their choice
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 11:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I've heard that there are testing strips you can buy to test your milk at home, if you have a drink and are worried about whether or not it will pass through to the baby. It will tell you if you should "pump and dump" after having a drink.
    startingover207

Answer by startingover207 at 11:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• You don't actually have to 'pump and dump' unless it's time for a feeding and you need to relieve engorgement. If you just wait, the alcohol will metabolise out of your breast milk just like your blood.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:34 AM on Mar. 19, 2011