What do you think of online public schooling verses public school?

My son has struggled in school for 4 years now. He is in 9th grade has little confidence, and low self esteem. After struggling to get him some form of help in schools i had him medically diagnoised with inattentive ADD. He is so bright, and loves to draw, he is an amazing talent, and would like to pursue ARTS as a career path. Would it be beneficial to pull him out of public school and have him do online public school where he is less distratced? What are the success ratios of those who do the online public schooling?

solmenkoo3

Asked by solmenkoo3 at 10:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• there is always going to be distractions in your sons life, wether its in school, work, etc.
    you or he cant run from the problems. where ever you go, there you are.
    figure out what the real issues are and try and fix them.
    if hes getting bullied or something that then maybe thats a different story...
    maybe also getting him into some art programs in & out of school will help him.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• It all depends on what kind of student he is. The online school work is tough. You have to do the equivalent of 6hrs. of school work and it can be boring. Unless he is the type of child who can sit down and get to work without you having to stand over him, I wouldn't suggest online school. They do so much more work than the brick & mortar public schools. 2 of my 3 children have done online schools. Are there ant alternative schools in your area that focus on the arts??? You may want to look into other types of schools and see what they have to offer your son and if any of them would be a better fit for him. Goos Luck!
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 10:23 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Everyones situation is different. If you/your son think homeschooling is right for him, then go for it..
    Is someone going to be home with him? If not, can he handle being home alone? Is he responsible enough to get his work done on his own. Online school- there will be no teacher to keep him on track, or remind him of things that needs to get done... So if someone doesnt pay attention a child can quickly fall behind if they are procrastinators.
    Join a CM homeschooling group, i bet they can give you some info & answer more questions. Homeschooling is a great option if done right!
    :-)
    Have you looked for private schooling? there are schools that focus more on the arts for kids that want it. (In houston there is "Highschool for the performing & visua arts."
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:29 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• It is good for the right student. A student that is doing online courses is a self starter, a child that is self motivated and will push themselves.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• It's possible that he would benefit from it....Give it a year and see....I've used both systems to educate my 3, and both have their positives and their negatives....I say go for it.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:39 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I think it also depends on how much structure you give him at home. If you are going to provide the supervision that he needs homeschooling could be a good option. The fact that you said he was ADD to me indicates that he will need you to provide the supervision to stay on task.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 6:37 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• For the right student, online school can be an amazing thing. They have to be motivated to work hard. There are less distractions and less time is spent doing work. I looked into online schooling for my son and learned that kids spend about 1 -2 hours a week per subject. Tests are taken at the online school office, as is any extra help the student needs. My friends daughter went from failing to passing by going from regular school to online school. The online school in my public school, does field trips, gym classes, dances, etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Since he has been medically diagnosed with ADD, the school is under obligation to give him an individualized education plan (I.E.P), or at least a 504 plan. My daughter has a 504 plan, because, though she is very bright, she cannot mentally handle some of the content of the curriculum so as stated in her 504 plan she is allowed to leave the class and either have that material not count toward a grade or the material be substituted for something she can handle. Since he likes ART, have him take as many art classes as possible. Sometimes written work can be substituted with projects such as drawing, model building, etc. He may do better making things than writing things. Please research public law 94-504 to find out how to tell the schools to help your son.
    Mikannody

Answer by Mikannody at 2:04 AM on Mar. 20, 2011