Why do they have to get involved?

My family has decided that since this is my third child, they have some say in what my hubby and i name him. Not the typical blah blah is a cute name (like what happened with the first two), no it's your going to name him this or that or his nick-name will be this.

An example: my MIL says she doesn't care what the name is as long as it has an X and a Z (her favorite letters) and his nick-name will be Buddy.

I personally believe that the name and nick-name (until he's old enough to decide for himself) is solely the parents job and everyone else can go fuck off (which has been my additude of late). Please excuse the language. This is causing a lot of drama. i tried the diplomatic approach of 'That's an interesting name but i don't think it's for us. It didn't work. Whats worse, certain family members can't even be in the same room with each other (like my dad and FIL) because they will get into fights over what the name should be.

Hubby and I have had several names that were our favorites that cause so much drama within the family we went back "to the drawling board" just to get out of the fighting. I'm due in a month and we don't have a name yet. Any advise at all is appreciated.

Not sure if it matters but my first born's name is William Paul and my second born's name is Serenity Rei.

SolaraDarkset

Asked by SolaraDarkset at 10:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• I think the baby is yours and your husbands and I think that u should put your foot down. I would say some thing like " I'm happy you want to take part in the naming of our 3rd child and I would love to here some names that you like but myself and my husband like the names blah blah blah but if you think of anymore please let us no and we will be more then happy to think about if we like the name or if we don't think it's suitable" I would let them down gently, reminding then you 2 have the final say. Once the baby is born and is named they will love and cherish the child anyway. After a while they will get use to the name if not instantly. Good luck darl :) oh and you will probably find when the baby is born that he will look like or suit a name at first glance. My son wasnt named for a week cause I had the same trouble in the end I put my foot down and told them I was going to call him mason weather they like it or not lol
    sarahandmark09

Answer by sarahandmark09 at 10:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I had a friend who told everyone that she had decided on a name, but she was keeping it a secret. No one offered advice, because they thought that the name was already decided. I think it was her way of avoiding those "helpful suggestions." LOL
    ARgal

Answer by ARgal at 10:47 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I'd just ignore them... not tell them any name choices and do whatever you are going to do!!! They have no say, so "F" them!! Or you could insist on some crazy, outlandish name just to feed the fire!! Either way screw them... when they carry a baby for 9 months they can have some say!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• This is not your FIL or MIL or dad or moms baby it is your baby and your husbands baby. You have the right to name the baby whatever you like. If they don't like it , it doesn't matter the decision is not for them to make but entirely yours and your husbands. If they don't like it who cares. The most important thing is that you like it. Once it is on the birth certificate it is done. Pick a name and say its a surprise until the baby is born.
    JellyBean1566

Answer by JellyBean1566 at 12:06 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• tell them flat out.. YOU are picking the name.. if they want to nickname him, they can call him what they would like, as you will with your own nicknames.. and that's that! lol.
    I put my foot down with my second daughters name, everyone was asking to pick the name. I finally decided on Marissa Geneva-Rae. (geneva was her fathers only input, because it was his grandmothers name, and if it wasn't for that, I would have dropped that too).
    I don't like that he's decided to call her Ge-Ge (HATE IT..) but that's his thing with her, and I call her my own nickname, and that's just the way it is. (We are separated).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:12 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Ignore them. You are the parent and get to name your child and no one else. Keep the name a secret until AFTER the baby is born.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:12 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I would just not talk about it with them and if they bring it up, say it's not up for debate. If it keeps up, walk out of the room. I find it beyond rude that anyone, family or not would think they have the right to tell you what to name your child. You've been very nice but it's time to be assertive and say this is between you and hubby and that is the end of the conversation.

I dealt with this to some extent with our first. DH had some kind of deal with a friend of his to name their son's after each other. He also had a family tradition, and they reminded us daily, where the first son had to have great grandfather's middle name. I told him to pick one, friend or grandpa but he couldn't have both.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2011