Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

As a single mom, other than life insurance, what do i need set in place

I'm a single mom of twin toddlers.
others than life insurance and a will that says who the guardians should be for my boys, what should i set up?
my mom watches them during the day, she mentioned that she needs something that "says" that she can take them to the hospital or something.
I know that their peditrician says a parent or guardian has to be present during exams. is that true for like an ER?

Answer Question

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:22 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 20 (9,139 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • You can get her a POA saying she can take them to the hospital. Their father will automatically get them should die, if he wants them so, you need to set up a trust for them that he can't use if you don't trust him. If you don't want him to have the children then you need to name someone in your Will to take them and it will go before a judge after you die. You should have a Living Will (how far to take life preserving efforts, life support, DNR) for yourself and the children so, the hospital knows what to do encase your in an accident or something.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 11:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

  • You should also have a health care directive to say what you want done if you are incapacitated. And, yes, you should have something in writing to say your mom can authorize treatment in case of emergency. Also, your life insurance should be level term insurance, not whole life. All bank accounts and 401Ks beneficiaries should be mentioned in the will.

    Answer by elizabr at 10:03 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.