Is it possible to begin pumping milk before having the baby?

This feels like a strange question for a soon to be mom of three, but at 7 months along I have leaked a little, and became curious as to whether or not an expectant mom can pump in order to ready her body earlier for her milk to come in when baby arrives - or does actually delivering the baby signal the milk to come in?

I pumped with my first child for 10 months, and became pregnant with my son when my first born was 6 months old. So, I was pumping while pregnant with my son. I then nursed him for a year. It went really well for me, and I hope it works this time around as well.

startingover207

Asked by startingover207 at 11:48 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• your baby needs the colustrum (spelling?) that comes before the milk comes in
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• What she said :) ^^^^^
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:51 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• Oh good, so even if it's possible, the colostrum is critical for the baby. That does make perfect sense! I knew it was a goofy question! Thanks!
    startingover207

Comment by startingover207 (original poster) at 11:53 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I actually had the same question with my first, I started leaking at 5 months. This time around when I started leaking I knew the answer, but don't worry, I had the same goofy question too :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:00 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Pumping before birth can cause contractions, so its not a good idea. Also, its the hormones that are released after the placenta is pushed out that also help begin milk production. Even if it seems like a lot leaking, it probably isn't yet.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:04 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I agree with the colostrum comment but you also have to be aware that nipple stimulation can induce labor, and you don't want that to happen too early.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• The detachment of the placenta from the uterus is what signals production to start. Until your mature milk comes in, colostrum is all your baby needs. Also, pumping can start early labor, which is why it is advised against.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• GOOD QUESTION. I am two weeks away from my due date and I'm thinking the same thing! I would think it would be smarter to get the milk flowing now but the answers above have proved me wrong so thanks for asking this question~ LOL
    Congrats on all your beautiful children~
    XOXO
    ohprettymommy

Answer by ohprettymommy at 1:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• It is not suggested to start pumping before delivering. Nipple stimulation (caused by suction) can cause labor and at 7 months along you really do not want to deliver now.
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 19, 2011