Would you ladies find your baby a new pediatrician?

My daughter is 22 months old and she has been congested for going on a little over 4 weeks now. She has a persistent cough, runny nose, and etc. Well about two weeks ago she stayed with my parent’s for the weekend and Saturday night she ran a high fever. Well my mom was able to bring down the fever and on Sunday she had a low temp fever. Monday morning I called the pediatrician to see her and explained everything that had been going on but the fever bothered me. Previously when she was sick her behavior was up and down. When she was down she was very fussy and would not each which is not the usual because for the most part she doesn’t cry and she eats pretty good. We go to the doctor on Monday and he hears nothing in her chest and finds no ear/throat infection. The doctor explains everything is in her upper chest and right now she is too young for him to say she has sinuses because at this age the sinus cavities aren’t fully developed. However he prescribes her an $800 medicine I ask how much because she has no insurance so we pay out of pocket for everything! I was like okay we can’t afford that so he was like oh okay well here is amoxicillin I’m like what for you found NO infection and he was like well it will help and it’s free!!! I’m like no way because I’ve heard and read about doctors just so quick to prescribe amoxicillin for no reason!! Ever since this day I have been so over this doctor!! Also I am still concerned about my daughter because it appears her cough is not getting any better only worse and it is especially bad at night and it interrupts her sleep sometimes causing her to wake up. When she coughs it seems like it takes everything from her. Would you guys find a new doctor?? Do you think her cold is just normal??

Thanks!! *Sorry so long* =)

NewMayMommy_25

Asked by NewMayMommy_25 at 11:53 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree, get her a second opinion. If the fever is gone, that is a good sign and if she is eating & drinking and not lethargic then most Pediatricians will say to do nothing. She may be experiencing seasonal allergies too. My Son was 3 when he started with allergies in the spring & fall. Coughing, runny nose, irritable. I give him Zyrtec for Children. It is for kids 2 & up. You can also get it in a store brand at Walgreen's called WAL-ZYR & it's less expensive. It really helps. Hope she feels better soon. Mention allergies to the new Dr. too.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:49 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I'd get a second opinion and see what they say. If you like their demeanor better and/or offer you a better solution and you feel better about a second (or even third!) choice, then switch.
    Anonymous

• Colds usually don't last that long. I would definitely find another pediatrician. I think now is the perfect time. Since it is related to sinuses and breathing, it probably couldn't hurt to see a pulmanologist. Or even and Ears, Nose and Throat Doctor. They would probably be more thorough.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:07 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Definitely get a second opinion. I wouldn't be happy with that diagnosis. Especially prescribing antibiotics even though no infection was found?!?! That right there would get me looking for a new doctor. Hope your little one feels better soon, and I hope you get some answers as to her sickness. Good luck =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:09 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I would look for a new doctor that will listen to you and be more caring with you and your child
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• I'm not sure about other states, but here in NYS, even if your income is too high for medicaid, or child health plus or family health plus, any child who is uninsured is eligible for help. We're far from loaded but DH and I no longer qualify for health ins, and the kids don't qualify for MCD or CHP, but are eligible for CHPII which means I pay a $9 per month, per child premium. See if your state has something similar.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:02 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• Nanixh thanks a lot!! Yeah I have a few recommendations for pediatricians from some friends so hopefully we will find a good caring one!!
    NewMayMommy_25

Comment by NewMayMommy_25 (original poster) at 12:50 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• can you get her on state insurance? its eather very low cost or free depending on what your income is, it veries from state to state. but try getting an application for it from your local health and human services office, the worst that can happen is they say you make to much
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 12:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• @Dreamangel Yes we tried previously I live in Georgia so here it's Peachcare because when she turned one she lost her medicaid because we made too much according to them so we previously tried for Peachcare and was denied because we made too much but I stopped working in November and thought I would be employed by now but unfortunately I am still not working so I recently applied again for Peachcare but its such a process because of new laws for 2011 when proving citizenship for children so I'm waiting and hopefully we will hear something soon!...Thanks!!

NewMayMommy_25

Comment by NewMayMommy_25 (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Mar. 20, 2011

• i would get a new dr that actually listens to your cocerns..she is your child you know her better than they do..
    armywifey1089

Answer by armywifey1089 at 1:00 AM on Mar. 20, 2011