Is it legal to send a voice recorder with your child to school?

My Child is 10 years old and in the 4th grade. He has Aspergers and does not communicate well with me or anybody for that matter. We have been having a lot of problems with the school. They do not call me. Do not communicate with me. He has been suspended several times revently. I have no idea what is going on and he kept telling me that the teacher just yells. I sent a voice recorder to school with him and that first day I heard yelling and total chaos. The whole class sounded a mess. I waited a few days and sent it with him again. The battery started to die and it started beeping. The teacher took it from him and I have heard nothing from the school. No one called nothing. I sent it so I could know what was going on with my child and now I am worried that I could get into trouble for recording the teacher. Anyone been through this or have any advice. I tried looking on the internet and have been unable to find anything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Mar. 18, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• It is not ILLEGAL. But chances are the school won't like it. Absolutely nothing wrong with what you are trying to do though. Hope you find out what's going on. GL.
    Anonymous

• Have you brought this up to the principal?? At Least talk to the superintendent?

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 12:01 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I don't know if it depends on what state you live in or not.  Have you went in and talked to the teacher you recorded?  I think now would be the time. I wouldn't go in and seem unsure either.  You are doing what you have to, end of story.  You were not wrong for recording your own childs activities throughout the day.  I would be pushy since he or she doesn't seem to think it's a good idea to contact you.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:02 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I mean about the yelling and I think you can do that.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 12:02 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• If it was sitting on his desk and she knew about it, MAYBE that would be okay, but I would expect trouble. First, I think you could get in trouble with recording a person without their consent, and second, other people's children, their discipline, mistakes, rewards, etc are on that tape. If a child is getting in trouble in the class, I don't think it is every parent in the class privilege to hear what the ramifications are.

I know that was not your intention, but honestly, I would expect trouble, especially if they knew it was you who sent it instead of just your son brining something to school with him.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:06 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I have talked to the teacher and she is the "nicest lady" until I heard her yelling at all the kids. I have been in the principles office so many times. I have told everytime they have to call me when he starts acting out so I can help them help him. The principle told me that she does not have to ever consult me and that is there job to deal with him while he is in school. They are terrible at it. The last time they suspended him they did not even tell me why. I am trying to file complaints with the district, but no one calls me back. I think I might need a lawyer. All I want is for my son to get an education and feel safe while getting one. This is a nightmare
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• First of all, you need to make an appointment with the principal, his teacher & whomever else interacts with your child during the day. I would also call the school district and ask to have the head of Special Ed to attend the meeting as your advocate. I am guessing that your son has an IEP, would that be correct? You need to write down all the questions & concerns you have & let them know why you sent the voice recorder with your son to school. You are your sons advocate therefore you should know everything that is going on at school that pertains to your child. Make it a priority & let them know you mean business!
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 12:09 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I would take him out of that school immediately.  Your son isn't able to tell you exactly what is going on but the yelling is perfectly clear.  You obviously aren't going to get any cooperation and in this position I can only say what I would do which is that he would no longer be going to that school period.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:10 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• @momavanessa

I dont think any parent would like to hear what I heard. I lose my patience with my children sometimes and yell at them but never like this teacher did. It was as if she lost her mind. She is not a good teacher at all and I sont want my child in her class. I can see why my son has been acting out. I have the recording downloaded on to my computer. They just took the recorder today and it is spring break all next week. I just am so upset that he has to deal with this and that This was my only way of knowing what was going on with my son. He does not talk about things like a normal child. It could be weeks before he tells me about something that happend.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:15 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• If your son has an IEP how is it possible he's getting suspended? IEP's prevent that. Especially if it's known the child has a behavior issue. Otherwise every child with Autism would be suspended at one point or another since their frustration behaviors typically result in self- harm or violent outbursts. (NOT always, I'm not saying your son is violent or anything of the such) But I digress if he has an IEP, a behavior plan, and is in the special education program the school can not suspend him. It's straight up illegal, so your rights have already been violated regardless of the voice recording. And as far as that goes, no it's not illegal, but you did break confidentiality with every other student in the class and that's not going to be smiled upon. Teachers can't even record things in special ed. classrooms without every single parents signed consent, so you as a parent definitely have no right. (cont)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:18 AM on Mar. 19, 2011