I was just watching a new episode of Supernanny. I personally do not agree with Jo Frost that if your child complains about what is for dinner that they should get a "Time out". I would love to get other mom's feeling's on this. Thank you for your time. Jorene

Jorene

Asked by Jorene at 12:04 AM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I sure wouldn't send my child to time out for that. If my girls don't eat what's for dinner, they have a sandwich or cereal. Time out seems a little extreme.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:05 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I haven't seen what you're talking about, but it would depend on the level of how they're complaining. KIcking screaming fits? Definitely a time out. My kids know that what I cook for dinner is what they'll be eating. If they don't want it, too bad. I don't make things I know they hate, or if I do, I make sure there's an alternative. But my job as a mom isn't to cater to their every food whim.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:07 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• If they're just complaining, I think that's crazy. But, if they're having a tantrum (like throwing things, screaming, etc.) and being crazy, yes I think a time out may be a good thing.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:07 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I did not think that the child was getting time out for complaining about what is for dinner. I felt it was because he refused to try something and threw a fit to get his own way. How would you teach that this is unacceptable behavior? If there is not consequences that behavior will continue to be the reaction to anything that the child disagrees with or chooses not to do.
    I can understand where you are coming from, but maybe you are taking the situation out of context.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:09 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• It depends upon how often they did it. If I knew that my child truly did like a certain item, I wouldn't expect him to eat it. But...if he were just saying that to go play (like my brother often tried to do as a child, lol), then I think time out would be acceptable IF they were refusing to eat it. A small verbal complaint doesn't really warrant discipline, in my opinion.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:10 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I agree if they are throwing an all out fit about what's for dinner then yea a time out. But when my kids say awwww I don't want chicken, I just tell them eat it or eat nothing. l certainly wouldn't give them a time out.
    jfblaine83

Answer by jfblaine83 at 12:13 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I agree with her.  There are always the inbetweens, the situations where we as parents might feel like one isn't warranted or one is.  My answer is "your going to eat it anyways".  I don't make things that they don't like so in that situation they would not be responding to the food being nasty.  Also, TRY it.  If the food is nasty, don't be mad that someone told you it is, lol.  Other than that, I put a hot meal infront of them and it would be best to not disrespect me in that manner. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:15 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• i wouldn't give him a time-out for it. (didn't see the show in question)
    when jack doesn't like (or thinks he doesn't like) something i've fixed for dinner, i make him at least try it, then make his final decision. sometimes he holds his position, and a few times, he says, ''hey, i do like it!''
    if i fix something i know beforehand that he simple does not like, i will fix an alternate for him..or he can have a turkey sandwich or cereal. he's always game for either of those.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:18 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Depends. Is the child belittling the parent, for making whatever for a meal, or is the child being logical about it. What I mean by logical is that are they discussing what is for dinner and trying to seek something else if they don't like it or are allergic.
    twinstartermom

Answer by twinstartermom at 12:18 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• If there is a fit, yes, time out. If the tone is ungrateful and awful, yes, time out. If it is something they legitimately don't like and they say they don't like it or something small, no, I don't think a time out is warranted.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:21 AM on Mar. 19, 2011