Of all the witchy movies and TV shows, which would you say is the most realistic?

Ok, so I haven't seen one that is even CLOSE to being true to reality, but I was wondering which one you think is the closest to portraying Witchcraft for what it is in reality.

As a Witch, I am really trying to figure out which one I think is most realistic lol. I'm going over every show and movie I know of in my head trying to pick one.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 12:04 AM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would say "some" of the Craft and "some" of Practical Magic. They both touch on some of the beliefs and rituals.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:59 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I was thinking the same as pnwmom...some of The Crat and some of Practical Magic. Id say some of Charmed too.

I dont think there is one that actually is 100% true, dont think there could be with Hollywood putting in the "entertaining" bits to thrill everyone and give people what they "think" magic is all about.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Th Craft, maybe? It showed black and white magic. Then again, I'm not a witch, so I'm not the best person to ask. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:31 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I remember years ago watching Salems Lot and that movie stuck with me.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:35 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Boston Legal, though it was only a 1 or 2 episode story arc.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:50 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Salem's Lot (stephen king) was about vampires.. one nasty,ugly greenish one that i can still see to this day. and the rapping on the bedroom window..ooh!
    ..but not witchcraft.

(just my 2c!)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:57 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• The t.v. show "Charmed" had a real witch consultant on set to make certain the spells were at least close to being real. I have a spellbook that contains the spells from that t.v. show (it was compiled by someone else). The reality of witchcraft is that it is not the clouds rolling in and the wind blowing your robes up around you that the movies like "The Craft" or "Harry Potter" depict. It isn't instantaneous. It can be if, like the Neve Campbell roll in "The Craft", you summon the help of supernatural creatures that may--or may not--be benevolent. Some movies depict witches in a positive light, like the Harry Potter movies, "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" from Disney, or "The Wizard of Oz". But none have depicted the act of witchcraft as the concerted effort that it is. Because that just wouldn't be good drama, would it????
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:30 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I honestly can't think of any. All of them have the Hollyweird twists and take on what they perceive the craft to be.

Wait ... MAYBE and I stress MAYBE, The Witches of Eastwick

I have to say that I loved watching Charmed (should have ended with Zanku) and Buffy (should have ended with Glory) but they both contributed to an over-abundance of Fluffies. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I haven't seen one that portrays Witchcraft 100% factual...
    The only movie that I have found to be a bit close would be 'Practical Magick:
    Tho I love watching many of them such as "Charmed", "The Craft" and a few others,
    they are Hollywood Magic, not Witchcraft Magick...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:14 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• The Craft. They actually had a Pagan Priestess on set and one of the actresses is/was a practicing Wiccan witch at the time she was filming. Although they had to go above and beyond for Hollywood reasons it's about as close as you can get and still be entertaining for the masses...

Buffy the Vampire Slayer didn't do to bad either... Although again, above and beyond...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2011