What do you do when your normally happy child becomes violent?

My son is normally a happy kid. But these last couple days he has been hitting and shoving me alot. Hes happy one minute and then he starts yelling and hitting. Hes only 4 I don't get it. Can someone PLEASE help me?!

kperry87

Asked by kperry87 at 12:09 AM on Mar. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He maybe testing to see what he can do and what reaction he is going to get. Remain consistent and loving but not accepting of this inappropriate behavior. At this age, he should be able to understand when you explain to him what is and is not acceptable and appropriate behavior.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:11 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Thanks tootoobusy !
    kperry87

Comment by kperry87 (original poster) at 12:46 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Was his violent actions out of the blue? Is he going to school? Have asked him if something or someone is bothering him? Perhaps getting bullied if he goes to school?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:22 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Sounds like he is frustrated perhaps.
    Be sure to truly listen and be aware of what sets him off.
    Knowing he is being respected and listened to is a great help.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:13 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Michigan-Mim74- Yes he just gets upset out of the blue sometimes but other times it seems because hes frustrated. He has a speech impediment so its hard for him to say what he want but hes never turned violent before.I'm trying to help him as much as I can with talking and hes getting better. And no he's not in school yet I'm enrolling him in Kinder Start in August.

Thanks to all three of you. You guys have made me feel like my initial feeling might be right . That he just might be getting frustrated. I hope getting him in school is going to help instead of making thing worse...
    kperry87

Comment by kperry87 (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Mar. 20, 2011